Online file sharing has been around for a long time, with its successor being cloud storage. Most of us probably use various apps or cloud-based services to share our data with our friends and family. Unfortunately, anyone with the shareable link can access your data. This results in a breach of privacy. While there are many web-based services for secure file sharing, most of them aren’t really secure and don’t come cheap either. This is what inspired Mozilla to develop Firefox Send, where you can securely and easily forward your files to anyone. And best of all, it’s completely free. So, if you’re wondering what exactly Firefox Send is and how to use it for data transfer, read on as we cover you.
What is Firefox Send?
Send free file sharing service It was started by Mozilla as part of the Firefox Test Pilot project, a set of experimental features mostly for Firefox. While most of the apps under the Test Pilot project are essentially add-ons for the main Firefox browser, Send is a standalone service that can be accessed from any browser. It runs on a web interface and allows the user to easily upload any file to Mozilla servers and then download it to the other device with the help of a shareable link. Moreover, Mozilla offers great privacy as the transmitted data is encrypted. Now that you know what Firefox Send is, let’s discuss how to use it.
Using Firefox Send
- Before everything, Go to the Firefox Submit portal here from your browser.
- Next, click on “Choose a file on your computer” to open the scan window
- Select the file you want to upload and click “Open” To start the download process
- Firefox Send now start upload sends the file to its servers. Sit back and wait until your file is uploaded.
- After the installation process is complete, you will be greeted with a screen similar to the one shown below. Copy shareable URL and send the file to the person you want to share it with. Alternatively, if you want to delete the file without anyone downloading it, simply click on the “Delete file” option.
- Enter shareable URL enter your browser window. After entering the URL, you are presented with a screen showing information about the file. Click “download” Press the button to start downloading the file.
- Clicking the “Download” button, Firefox Send will first decrypt the data file and then download it. to your system. When the progress bar is complete, depending on your browser, you may get a checkbox about the file. Just confirm to complete the download.
- And that’s it. Your file has been completely downloaded. If you try to re-enter the URL in the browser, you will notice that the link has expired, so, Deleted from Mozilla servers.
How is it different from other services?
Unlike most file sharing services, Firefox Send relies on making sure the file is accessed by the intended person and no one else is. Essentially, files uploaded to Firefox Send will be deleted automatically after download. Also Send service it also deletes the file after 24 hours, even if it’s not downloaded. In addition, the installer has the right to delete the uploaded data.
When it comes to encryption, most web services only offer server-side encryption. Firefox Send encrypts files during transfer. Additionally, Firefox Send encrypts client-side files, so Even Mozilla can’t read them. The shareable URL of the uploaded file contains the encryption key required to decrypt the file.
SEE ALSO: 10 Great Firefox Incognito Settings You Should Check Out
Use Firefox Send to Transmit Data Easily and Securely
Firefox Send is undoubtedly one of the safest ways to transfer data files from one system to another. While it may not be useful for those who want to share with the masses, those who want to share with a single person, especially business users, may find it useful. Let us know what you think of Firefox Send and whether you would use it in the comments section below.