If an AirPod suddenly stops working, there is a quick fix for the problem.
While AirPods work perfectly most of the time, they’re not perfect. One of the most common issues we hear about is when an AirPod buds stop producing sound. This is an annoying problem, but you probably don’t need a new one.
If your left or right AirPod isn’t working or you’re experiencing disconnections, here’s what to do before contacting Apple for support.
How To Fix An AirPod Not Working
First, you will need to get your iPhone or iPad. Once you have your phone or tablet in hand, here are the next steps to take.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Go to the Bluetooth section.
- Find your AirPods in the list of Bluetooth devices and tap the blue “i” icon next to your device.
- Tap Forget This Device on the next screen.
- Now put your AirPods in their boxes. Close the lid, wait 30 seconds, and then open it again.
- Locate the small button on the back of the case and press it until you see the status light turn white/yellow.
- Close the lid of the case, wait a few seconds, open it again.
- Now bring your iPhone or iPad closer to the AirPods and connect.
If this method doesn’t work, there are two other fixes you can try. Try resetting your iPhone’s network settings first. Here’s how to do this:
- Go to the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to Reset and tap it.
- Tap Reset Network Settings.
- Wait until this process completes and then try to reconnect your AirPods.
If that doesn’t work, check around the speaker and microphone on each AirPod for any debris that may be in the way.
If you still can’t get sound from one or more of your AirPods, You need to contact Apple support and see if they have a permanent solution for your problem.