With an impressive collection of features designed to enhance the user experience and increase security, macOS Monterey is a worthwhile upgrade. About a month after releasing developer betas, Apple has rolled out the macOS Monterey public beta to allow enthusiasts and tech geeks to try out the pre-release software. If you’re keen to test out the new features in the latest version of macOS, follow this detailed guide to download and install the macOS Monterey public beta on your Mac.
Download and install macOS Monterey Public Beta (2021)
Be warned that beta software comes with its fair share of bugs and issues. So, be prepared to deal with unexpected issues like fast battery drain, random reboot, apps crashing. That’s why we recommend that the best way to test beta versions of macOS Monterey is to install it on a secondary device. It allows you to explore all new features and ensures that your workflow is not interrupted. With that in mind, let’s dive right in.
How to Backup Your Mac
Make sure you have a backup of your Mac before continuing. If you haven’t already, take advantage of Time Machine to keep all your personal data safe. Backup data will come in very handy if something goes wrong during installation or if you want to downgrade and revert to macOS Big Sur. Also make sure your Mac is compatible with macOS 12.
- Connect an external storage device to your Mac to back up your data.
- Now, open Time Machine preferences from the menu bar or choose Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Time Machine. After this, “Choose Backup Disk” and follow the instructions to back up your macOS device.
How to Sign Up for macOS Monterey Public Beta
It’s worth noting that if you’ve participated in the Apple Beta Software Program in the past, you don’t need to enroll again. If you’ve tried the macOS public beta before, jump to: “How to download macOS Monterey public beta access utility” section below.
1. Open Safari on your Mac and navigate to: beta.apple.com.
2. Now, “Become a member” if you have not previously signed up for the beta program.
3. Next, Enter your Apple ID and password To sign up to be part of Apple’s public beta testing program.
How to Register Your Mac and Download the macOS Monterey Public Beta Access Utility
After registering your account, you can easily register your Mac for macOS public beta testing. Follow the steps below:
1. Launch Safari on your Mac and navigate to: beta.apple.com. Then sign in using your Apple ID password.
2. Now, “macOS operating systemin the ” tab “Public Beta Guide” Episode.
note: The process for installing the iOS 15, iPadOS 15, tvOS 15, and watchOS 8 public betas is pretty similar. Select the relevant tab and download the beta profile of that operating system to your device. After that, you can install the beta in a few easy steps.
3. Then, “To startClick on the ” section, “Register your Mac” connection.
4. Then, “Download macOS Public Beta Access Utility” choice.
How to Install macOS 12 Monterey Public Beta on Mac
1. Next, you need to open the file from the Downloads window in Finder, and then double-click the macOSPublicBetaAccessUtiliuty.dmg package to run the installer.
2. Now, “Go on” below. Next, you will be prompted to make a backup. If you haven’t backed up your Mac, follow the instructions to do so. If you’ve already done so, skip the prompts.
3. Then accept the software license agreement. Click “Go on” to continue again.
4th place, “To accept” to approve.
5. Now, click on “To organise“.
7. You will now be prompted to enter admin password. Do this andInstall the software” in the pop-up window.
8. After the installation is complete, “Close” macOS Monterey public beta utility.
9. Next, you will be taken to the Software Update settings, where a pop-up window will appear: “Are you sure you want to download macOS Monterey beta 12.0?” Alright, “download” button.
9. Finally, “update nowTo start installing macOS Monterey public beta on your Mac.
10. Now let your Mac device download and install macOS 12 Monterey. Make sure you have some patience as it will take a lot of time.
After the update is installed, your Mac will run the brand new macOS Monterey beta update. Now, follow the instructions to set up your Mac. After that, go ahead and discover all the cool new features like Live Text, the new Shortcuts app, and Safari Tab Groups, among others. The highly anticipated Universal Control feature, which lets you seamlessly use your Mac’s mouse and keyboard with an iPad, is not available in this public beta.
Discover New macOS Monterey Features by Installing Public Beta
That’s it! Now that you have the macOS 12 Monterey public beta installed on your Mac, you can explore all the new features in the pre-release software. As I said above, beta software usually comes with lots of bugs and issues. So be prepared for battle to face these unexpected problems. If you come across anything unusual or worth sharing, be sure to let me know in the comments section below.