This guide will show you how to set up iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus so you can start using your new iPhone in about 15 minutes.
We’ll cover how to set up Siri, which iPhone 6s settings to open by default, and other things iPhone asks you about.
If you don’t want to do this setup on your own, you can schedule a personal setup with Apple or normally ask your carrier to help you set up your iPhone, but most users can complete the iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus. At-home setup in 15 to 30 minutes.
Restoring from a backup will take a little longer, but just wait for it to complete.
iPhone 6s Setup Guide
Here’s how to set up your iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus. Schedule at least 15 minutes for the initial setup and another time for the restore from backup option to complete.
Backup Your Old iPhone
Before you start setting up your new iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus, you need to back up your old iPhone. To do this, use the guides below. If you’re already using an iCloud backup, it’s probably up to date when you last plugged it in.
Once you have a current backup of your iPhone, the rest of this process will go much faster. You can do this before you get your iPhone 6s.
Activate Your iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus
If you’ve already visited a carrier or chosen to use Apple Personal Setup, your iPhone is probably already active, but if it came in the mail, you’ll need to follow these steps to activate your iPhone.
This is where it can vary from one device to another as you may need to call your carrier or switch your SIM card to the new iPhone to activate it.
- Swipe Your Finger on Home Screen to Get Started.
- Choose Your Language
- choose your country
- Connect to WiFi to activate your iPhone faster than using a cellular connection.
- Set up Touch ID by placing your finger on your iPhone.
- Create a Password.
After a minute or two, the iPhone will be activated. To verify this, you must complete the iPhone 6s setup before making a test call.
Choose to enable or disable location services. You can turn this on or off later. We normally choose to enable Location Services so that iPhone knows where we are to enable apps that rely on location data.
Choose How to Set Up Your New iPhone 6s
Next, you need to decide how to set up your iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus. There are four options to choose from. Here’s what you need to know.
– If you want to manually install apps and add media and other items on your iPhone 6s, this is the option. You will start from scratch as some users like.
– If you have backed up to iCloud, this option will download your accounts, messages, data and apps to the new iPhone 6s. This process will take some time to complete, but you can start using your iPhone after about 20 minutes while the rest of the apps are downloaded.
– If you have backed up your iPhone to computer, this option allows you to plug and restore your old iPhone directly to your new iPhone 6s. Plan for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
– If you are migrating from Android, you can use the Move to iOS app to transfer most of your Android data and messages to iPhone. Here’s how to switch from Android to iPhone.
Latest iPhone 6s Setup
After restoring your iPhone from backup is complete, you will still need to go through a few extra steps to use your iPhone.
- Sign in to your Apple ID and accept the terms and conditions if necessary.
- If you want to use this service, open and set up Apple Pay on the next page.
- Then set up Hey Siri. For this to work best, you need to get Siri used to your voice.
- Enter your account passwords as required so you can connect to your accounts.
When you’re done, make a test phone call and use your cellular data to make sure your iPhone is activated and ready to use. If you cannot make a phone call, you may need to call your carrier or change your SIM card.