WhatsApp is adding a ton of new features of late. Recent updates have brought features like video calls, two-step verification, and recently introduced the brand new “Status” feature, which is basically the same as Instagram Stories, a clone of Snapchat Stories. Unlike previous text-based Status updates, the new Status feature in WhatsApp requires you to send photos, videos, and GIFs that disappear after 24 hours. Not everyone, including me, is a fan of the new Status feature. So if you are someone who prefers to go back to writing lyrics or emotional quotes as Status on WhatsApp, There are ways to revert to the old WhatsApp state on Android smartphones:
Quick Note: I’ve tried the methods below and while they work for now, I’m not sure they will work in the future.
Get Old WhatsApp Status on Unrooted Devices
On non-rooted devices, you can install an old APK of WhatsApp to get the old Status back. I tried several old WhatsApp builds and what worked for me 2.17.60. you can just download this version Select and install WhatsApp from APKMirror.
Next, you can set up your WhatsApp account, after which you should see the old WhatsApp home page with no Status tab in it.
While this method works for now, WhatsApp may soon choose to remove support for older WhatsApp versions. In this case, there is a workaround that should work with most versions of WhatsApp.
Get Old WhatsApp Status on Rooted Devices
This workaround to get the old WhatsApp status back requires a rooted Android device. It’s also worth mentioning that I tried this method on WhatsApp v2.17.77 and it worked perfectly. You can check your WhatsApp version in WhatsApp Settings->About and help->About. If you have a different version of WhatsApp, you can still try the process, but if it doesn’t work, download the version i’m using From APKMirror.
So, if you’re ready, you’ll need a file manager app with root access support. I am using ES File Explorer (Free) but you can use whatever file manager you want. Now that you have the file manager installed, here are the steps to revert to the old WhatsApp state:
1. First, go to: Settings->Applications->WhatsApp and tap on “Force Stop“.
2. Next, navigate to: ES File Explorer or the file manager you are using and Enable “Root Explorer”. You will find it in the left sidebar in ES File Explorer. The app may ask you to select the appropriate permissions for Root Explorer, “RW” for everything.
3. When done, open device files. You can tap on “ in ES File Explorer.LocalTap ” in the sidebar and then tap “Device“. When the “Device” folder is opened, Go to data->data->com.whatsapp->shared_prefs folder.
4. In the “shared_prefs” folder “com.whatsapp_preferences.xmlOpen the ” file. You will be prompted to select the editor to open the file. You can choose “ES Note Editor” or the text editor that comes with the file manager you are using. When the file opens, press the three-dot menu button and click “To organise” choice.
5. “com.whatsapp_preferences.xml” file, you need to find the text that says. “state mode” value=”1″. When you find it, you just gotta Change “1” to “0”. Make sure you don’t edit anything else. Once done, save XML file.
6. Once done, simply open WhatsApp; The Status tab will disappear. You’ll find the Calls, Chats and Contacts tab just the way you want it. You will also find the “Status” option in the menu and you can just tap on it and set the same old text status on WhatsApp.
SEE ALSO: 7 Best WhatsApp Alternative Apps to Use
Easily Revert to Old WhatsApp Status
Well, these are some simple methods to revert to old WhatsApp Status. While you can get the old WhatsApp Status back, for people using the new WhatsApp Status feature, you won’t see any status and they won’t be able to see your text Status update either. If you can live with it, try these methods and get old WhatsApp status. Let me know if you run into any problems during this process. Mute the sound in the comments section below.