If you forgot the password of your Windows 10 local account and this is also your administrator account, resetting the password becomes a difficult task. In such scenarios, you need to use a live USB stick and access the computer from outside the system. This way, you can replace system files with ease and get inside the PC without much trouble. To make things easier for you, we have prepared a detailed guide on how to reset Windows 10 administrator password. So, without wasting any time, let’s jump right into the steps.
Reset Admin Password in Windows 10 (2021)
Before we begin this tutorial, let me clarify that none of your files or programs will be affected in this process. You can reset Windows 10 administrator password without any loss of your valuable files. So, out of the way, let’s move on to the instructions.
1. First of all, what you need to do Create Windows 10 USB installation media. You can use Rufus or Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool to create a bootable Windows USB.
2. Next, insert a USB flash drive into the computer and restart your computer. While your PC is booting, start pressing the boot key Continuously.
note: On HP laptops, pressing the “Esc” key during startup displays the Startup menu. For other laptops and desktops, you will need to search the Internet for the boot key. It should be one of: F12, F9, F10, etc.
3. Now, Select the USB drive Where you install Windows 10 and press Enter to start the administrator password reset process.
4. When you get to the Windows 10 installer page, click “Shift + F10” to open Command Prompt.
5. In the Command Prompt window, type
diskpart and press Enter. Next, type
list volume and press Enter. From the volumes list, Identify your C drive and note what is stated under “Ltr”. This will be your partition name. like mine
6. Write now
exit and press Enter to exit Diskpart.
7. After that, enter the partition name like this –
d: and press Enter. This will move you to C drive Note that the Partition name of your computer may be different for your computer.
8. Then, by entering these commands one by one, “system32The ” folder is under the C drive of your computer.
cd windows cd system32
9. When you come here, enter the following commands one by one. This will change your name
cmd.exe. Meanwhile, utilman.exe is responsible for using the Accessibility features on the lock screen and allows us to reset the administrator password on your Windows 10 PC.
rename utilman.exe utilman1.exe rename cmd.exe utilman.exe
10. Now close the Command Prompt window, cancel the Windows 10 installation process, remove the USB flash drive and restart your computer. Normally you will boot to the lock screen. Here, “AccessibilityThe ” icon is in the lower right corner.
10. A command prompt window will open. Here, type the following command and press Enter. It will allow you to reset Windows 10 administrator password with ease.
11. Now, a new password recovery window will pop up. Here, Click the “Reset Password” button.
12. Set a new password and click the “OK” button. You have successfully reset the administrator password on your Windows 10 PC.
13. Now, log in to your account new admin password from the lock screen. And voila, you can log into your Windows 10 PC without any issues.
Forgot Windows 10 Admin Password? Reset Admin Password
So you can easily reset Windows 10 administrator password without deleting your files or programs. You don’t even need to reinstall Windows 10 to access other partitions. Just follow our tutorial and it will work like a charm. Anyway, that’s it. If you want to convert MBR to GPT disk in Windows 10 without data loss, follow our detailed tutorial linked here. And if you have any questions regarding this guide, comment them below.