Android is known for the level of customizability it offers. You can practically change almost anything on your Android device. Additionally, if you have root access, there are many new doors open for you. One of the things users love to do is theme their devices. This is where Substratum comes in. Substratum has proven to be the best way to theme your device. Unfortunately, it requires root access for Android Oreo. Well, don’t worry because if you have a device running l
Test Google’s offer but don’t want to root your device yet, read on as we show you How to install themes on Android Oreo without root access:
Install Themes on Your Android Oreo Device
note: The following method requires Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers to be installed on your device. You can check out our detailed article on how to install ADB on PC or Mac. I tried the method below on my Nexus 5X and Pixel, but the method should work fine on any device running Android Oreo.
- To get started, go to: Settings -> System -> Developer Optionsand enable USB debugging.
- Now, download and install Substratum application (Free) on your Android device.
- Now that both of your apps are downloaded, Open the Andromeda app on your device and check its status. should show “Disconnected”.
- Now, Download Andromeda Desktop Client from here and extract it to your PC or Mac.
- Now, Connect your Android device to your computerand run start_andromeda.bat file. A new Command Prompt window will open asking you to continue. press any key To continue the installation
- After the installation is complete, Command Prompt window will close automatically and The substrate will be initialized simultaneously on your device.
note: In some cases, the Substratum application may not open by itself. Just open the Andromeda app on your device to see the connection status to make sure the installation completed successfully. if he says “Connected” then you’re good to go and you can start Substratum on your own.
Now that you have Substratum installed on your device, installing a theme is pretty easy. all you have to do is go to Play on Play Store and download the theme you want. For example, I applied Dark Theme On my Nexus 5X running Android 8.0 Oreo.
Once done, Open Substratum, select theme and apply all transitions Tap on and “Build and Activate”. That’s it, your theme will be applied.
For a more detailed guide on how to install themes using Substratum, read our guide here.
note: Although your theme will remain stable even after reboot, if you want to use Substratum app again you will need to re-run the Andromeda client from your PC. This is because the permissions granted to the Substratum app using Andromeda are revoked upon restart and you have to grant them again using the Andromeda client on your PC.
SEE ALSO: 15 Cool Substrate Themes You Can Try on Android
Your Android Oreo Device Without Root Theme
Theming your device is one of the best things you can do to personalize your smartphone. Originally launched by Sony and later continued by RRO, Substratum is the premier way to theme your device with ease. While Substratum works on rooted devices out of the box, Andromeda opens the door for non-rooted Android Oreo devices. I know I’m going to use themes on my Android Oreo device, but how about you? Let us know your favorite themes for Android Oreo in the comments section below.
This tutorial was originally published at: XDA Developers. We tried it and it works fine.