More than 150 million people around the world use Snapchat every day, and if you’re one of them, you’ve definitely noticed little icons next to people’s names in your friends list. Have you ever wondered what these symbols mean? Simple! Snapchat uses certain emojis to tell you a bit about your relationship with your friends in the Snapchat app. For example, if you’ve just become friends with someone on the app, the emoji belongs to a baby’s face (because you’re a “baby” friend, got it?) Understanding these emojis is key to keeping track of your catching habits.
What Are Snapchat Emojis?
The emojis you choose to apply to your snapshots or message to your friends are up to you, but friend emojis are chosen by Snapchat based on certain criteria within the app itself. You can change which emojis apply for each criteria group, but you cannot decide to move one from one category to another; this is automatic and depends on Snapchat’s algorithms. Later in this article, I will show you how to change the emoji associated with any of the criteria in the list below.
What Do Snapchat Emojis Mean?
Friend Face Emojis
- Baby – This person is a brand new friend.
- Smiling – This person is your best friend. In other words, you send him a bunch of snaps.
- Sunglasses – You and this person have a mutual best friend. Basically, you send multiple snaps to the same person.
- Grimace – You and this person have a mutual number one best friend, meaning you both send more photos to this third party than anyone else.
- Grin – This person is not your best friend, but you are theirs. In other words, they send you lots of snaps but you don’t respond. Strange.
#1 Best Friend Emoji
- Yellow heart – This means best friend number 1. You send the most photos to each other.
- Red heart – This person has been your #1 best friend for two weeks.
- Double pink hearts – This person has been your #1 best friend for two months.
- Fire – This indicates an instant line. You’ve sent this person too many photos lately and they’ve sent back too many.
- 100 – This is essentially the super instant line. You and your instant series partner have managed to keep an instant series running for 100 days.
- Hourglass – This is a warning that your instant streak is about to end. Shoot to keep your friend alive.
- Birthday cake – Today is your Snapchat friend’s birthday of course!
- Star – This person is popular. His photos have been shared a lot in the last 24 hours.
- Sparkles – You and this person are in a Snapchat group together.
I Don’t Like These Emojis!
Not satisfied with the above options? You can assign new emojis to each of the criteria mentioned above. Just follow these steps to set your Snapchat sticker emojis.
- Open Snapchat.
- Tap the settings icon.
- Faucet overcome under Additional services.
- Faucet Friend emoji.
- Tap an emoji to change which emoji is applied to its meaning.
Now you’re ready to find an eggplant next to your best friend’s name next time. Have fun! If you have any cute ideas about which emojis to use in which categories, share them with us below!