Snapchat’s makers understand that sometimes your best selfie isn’t good enough. That’s why they have dozens of filters and photo editing tools to help you turn an ordinary picture into something truly memorable. The only problem is that the filter and editing options are so extensive it’s overwhelming. Fortunately, we’ve put together a quick guide to take you through all the Snapchat options.
Let’s start with the dumbest Snapchat filter options. Snapchat’s creative and engaging selfie filters were instrumental in pushing the popular social media app to the top. To access these filters, go to the Snapchat camera and follow these steps:
- Tap the selfie icon in the upper right corner. This changes the camera so you can see yourself on the screen.
- Tap anywhere on your face to bring up the selfie filter options. They will appear as a series of circles at the bottom of the screen.
- Switch between filter options to apply to your face.
- Tap the circle at the bottom to take a photo.
Filter options may change from one day to the next. Some may even be supported by various organizations. Other popular filters like dog face have been around for a while.
Some filters may come with additional features. Pay attention to directions that ask you to raise your eyebrows or stick your tongue out. Do as directed and you will be in for a surprise.
Finally, try choosing a favorite filter and then changing the camera to face forward. The selected filter will enrich the reality around you with fun little surprises to add some character to your photo.
Photo Editing Filters
Snapchat also offers filter options after the photo is taken. While switching between these filters isn’t a bit frustrating, access is easy. Just swipe left on your photo after it’s taken and before it’s shared with others. Keep scrolling to see more options. Expect to see some or all of the following:
- Color filters – These include bright, sepia, oversaturation, and black and white.
- Speed – Shows how fast you were going when the photo was taken.
- Temperature – Shows the current temperature where and when the photo was taken.
- Altitude – Shows the altitude above sea level where the picture was taken.
- Time – Shows when the photo was taken.
- Location – Can show the name of a city, state or country where the photo was taken.
- Special days – You may see some filters specific to special holidays or other calendar events.
Tap the screen for additional options as you scroll through the filters. Some of the filters change the style or format when tapped.
If you want your image to go back to normal, just swipe to the end of the filters. If you swipe them all, the next swipe will be your original image.
Photo Editing Tools
If you’re not satisfied with the filter options available, you can always edit your photo using Snapchat’s extensive photo editing tools. Check out our crash course below, but don’t be afraid to play a little. Snapchat is always full of surprises.
Photo editing options are located on the right side of the screen after taking a photo.
- T – Add text. Type using your phone’s keypad. You can edit the color of the text using the color bar that appears on the right. You can also change the size and format of the text by tapping on it.
- Pencil – draw. Use your finger to draw. Change the color using the color bar that appears on the right. Change the size of the pen by pinching and pulling on the screen with our fingers.
- Sticker – Add a sticker. Click the row of icons at the bottom of the screen for additional sticker options. When you select a sticker, you can use pinch and pull gestures to change the size of the sticker. Tap and drag the sticker to the trash to remove it. You will be able to add the same sticker later.
- Scissors – This icon will bring up a few additional editing options (see below).
Scissors editing options:
- Sticker – Copy and paste selections from your photo to create custom stickers. Use your finger to trace the part you want to copy. A sticker will appear. Resize and trash like any other sticker. Whether you remove it or not, the sticker will remain in your special sticker inventory for later use (see Sticker icon).
- Stars – This is your magic eraser. Drag your finger over the parts of your image you want to remove.
- Grid – This adds a pattern to your image. The pattern is superimposed on the original image. Trace the parts of your image you want to highlight.
- Paintbrush – This is a color fill. Choose a color. Then trace an object that you want to make a specific color. The color fill does the rest.
Not sure how best to make your picture pop? No problem. Tap the save icon in the lower left corner. You can access your photo later under Memories. You will be presented with all of the same editing options and many of the same filter options.
Snapchat marketing is tough, so why not use this handy book to learn more? You can sell a lot of crazy stuff via instant chat. This book shows you how!
Do you want to know what is the longest snapchat series? The answer may surprise you.