There are so many dating sites and apps these days. Choosing the right one for your needs can be difficult. eHarmony was the gold standard of online dating, but then Tinder came and took all its glory.
These two dating platforms are very different from each other, but both are perfect. They have different attributes and possibly different types of users. eHarmony is more traditional than Tinder, supporting instant connections and speed dating.
eHarmony users are usually over 30, single and heterosexual. Read on for a detailed comparison.
eHarmony in a nutshell
eHarmony was founded in 2000 by a theologian and psychologist Dr. It was founded by Neil Clark Warren. As you can imagine, a founder with such a background takes dating seriously. Therefore, the app does not support or support casual dating and instant hookups.
eHarmony’s goal is to invest people in a stable, long-term relationship and even marriage. eHarmony allows you to take a very long test while recording and passes your answers to the matching algorithm.
eHarmony is responsible for 2% of all marriages in the United States, which is a significant number. It has millions of active users but has a neat mechanism. Even if you can use the platform for free, the premium option is too good to pass up.
The mentioned mechanism is that if you do not find a relationship in the given time frame (only if you are really active and really tried to find a date) you will extend your quarterly membership for another three months.
eHarmony is a dating site and does not have a mobile app. Maybe that’s why it’s not as popular as Tinder. Sure, you can use eHarmony on a mobile browser, but it feels a bit cumbersome and awkward.
Tinder in a nutshell
On the other hand, Tinder is very functional even if you use the free version of the app. Although Tinder has a site, most people use mobile apps for Android and iOS devices. Tinder also has several paid plans that increase your visibility in the app, but they are not required.
Tinder has more users than eHarmony, just look at these download numbers. It is more popular worldwide and has different goals and objectives than its web-based competitor. Most people use this not to find their soul mate, but to date someone quickly.
People often use Tinder out of boredom to find some fun. Those looking for serious relationships have to go through many bad dates before they find the right person.
These are generalizations, but you get the gist. If you like someone in your area, you’re more likely to find them on Tinder than on eHarmony. Tinder’s algorithm mostly focuses on your geographic location, while your interests and personality stay in the background.
You find dates on Tinder by personal appearance and a short bio. Tinder has a somewhat superficial approach, but not everyone is looking for the love of their life.
Why Tinder Is Better
We have already mentioned the strong points and some weaknesses of these two dating tools. Let’s dive into more details to find out which platform is better for you. Tinder is better if you are not aiming for a long term relationship but want to date someone. Here are some of the reasons:
- Tinder is free. You don’t need to pay anything to find interested parties and contact them immediately.
- It is easier to use. Signing up is fast and millions of people use it. In other words, you can find dates much faster on Tinder with no hassle.
- Ordinary. Everyone knows that if there isn’t a match, they can easily find someone else. Also, you can easily ghost someone on Tinder.
- Communication is more convenient. People are more likely to chat with more people at once on Tinder. Competition is fiercer as well, but it goes both ways.
- Tinder is included. Of the two competitors, Tinder is more open to the LGBTQ+ population. People with different sexual orientations and open minds will probably do better on Tinder.
Why is eHarmony Better?
Tinder, as great as it is, isn’t always the better option. eHarmony also has many advantages and some people will appreciate it more than Tinder. The top reasons to use eHarmony are:
- It has a more serious audience. Generally speaking, it has a more mature user base, not just in terms of age. People at eHarmony often want a long-term relationship or even marriage. These things are almost taboo on Tinder.
- eHarmony has a better dating algorithm. Sorry Tinder, but it’s true. This algorithm can help you find the right person for you and it is not a scam. Many people have testified about finding true love on eHarmony. There aren’t many Tinder emotes of this type.
- eHarmony isn’t just about looks. If you care more about personality, Tinder probably isn’t your cup of tea. At eHarmony, physical appearance takes the back seat.
- more conservative environment. If you’re a heterosexual, conservative person, eHarmony is the better choice. People will be understanding and will share similar principles with you.
- Maybe paying for a dating site isn’t such a bad thing. It shows that you have invested from start to finish. Most people on eHarmony want to find a significant other, not a speed date.
No Net Winner
Tinder and eHarmony are equally good, but they appeal to different people. The user demographics of these two platforms only meet at some points. Both are dating sites with the same (primary) goal – to bring people together. However, Tinder is more about casual dating and socializing, while eHarmony is more about long-term commitment and marriage.
It’s up to you to decide which one you want to use. You won’t go wrong with either. Feel free to share your experiences and thoughts with us in the comments section below.