It seems that Apple has begun to look at India through a completely different lens. With the release of iOS 15, the company has a India-exclusive feature to simplify UPI payment flow For iPhone users. Apple now lets you scan UPI QR codes and choose from up to 10 of the latest from the camera app on your iPhone running iOS 15. UPI applications used for merchant payments. Well, if you’ve upgraded your iPhone to iOS 15 and want to learn how to use this brand new feature, we’ve got you covered. Let me teach you how to use camera app to scan UPI QR codes and pay in iOS 15 in India.
Scan UPI QR Code Using iPhone Camera App on iOS 15 (2021)
It should be noted that Apple recently updated iOS 15 features page to highlight this feature. Users can now select their most recently used UPI payment apps in the camera app when scanning UPI QR codes to complete payments. So if you are running the beta version of iOS 15, you cannot access this feature. If you haven’t updated your device yet, go to: Settings -> General -> Software Update and then download and install the official version of iOS 15. Once this is done, follow the steps below to learn how to use this nifty feature.
How to Scan UPI QR Code Using iPhone Camera App in iOS 15
Before looking at the steps, make sure you have installed your favorite UPI payment app on your device. Also, make sure Scan QR Codes toggle is enabled in Camera settings. These are prerequisites for using UPI payments via camera app feature in iOS 15.
one. Settings -> Camera on your iPhone and next to it Scan QR Codes light green).
2. Now, start camera app on your iPhone.
3rd row, point camera at UPI QR Code you want to scan. As soon as the camera app recognizes the QR code, your most recently used UPI payment app will appear in the viewfinder. Now, tap the app connection to continue.
4. Next, you will see a popup window, “The camera wants to turn on [UPI payments app name]”. Faucet Open to continue. After that, go through the usual process of making the payment. For example, you will need to enter the amount, add a message, and press Submit to enter the UPI PIN and authorize the transaction.
Access Recently Used UPI Payment Apps in iOS 15 Camera App
1. If you want to use another UPI payment app instead of the one suggested by the camera app, Tap on the QR code scanner icon in the lower right corner of the viewfinder. A context menu will now open with a list of all your recently used UPI payment apps.
2. Next, select your preferred app from the list. Again, if this is the first time you are using a certain UPI payment app from the camera app, it will ask you for permission to open the app. After that, you can go through the usual process of making the seller payment securely. It’s as simple as it gets!
While I’m happy with this new India-exclusive feature in iOS 15, I think the user experience could be better. First, it took me 10 to 15 minutes to discover how to access all recently used UPI apps, rather than just those suggested by the camera app. Second, the context menu doesn’t show all 10 recently used UPI payment apps, as claimed by Apple.
In my case, the context menu only showed 7 apps at once. It would be better if there was a pop-up tab or an iMessage-like bar above the camera options. This way you can access all recently used UPI apps and select your preferred app by swiping left/right.
UPI Apps Supporting iPhone Camera QR Code Scanning Feature
While this is a new iOS 15 feature, most UPI payment apps support UPI QR code scanning via iPhone camera out of the box. So, no matter which payment app you use, there’s a good chance you won’t have any incompatibility issues. Here is a list of all UPI payment apps (we tested most of them) that support iOS 15’s QR code scanning feature in India.
- Google Pay
- Amazon Payment
- Jio Pay
- BHIM (must also support all bank specific BHIM applications)
- WhatsApp Pay
- Airtel UPI Payment
We’ve compiled a comprehensive summary of UPI payment best practices. So, if you want to know more about these apps and learn some useful tips and tricks, go to the linked article.
Use iPhone Camera App to Scan UPI QR Codes in India
This is how you can use your iPhone camera to scan UPI QR codes when buying or buying food at your local farmer’s market in India. You no longer need to go through multiple circles to scan the QR code and complete the payment. Also, it’s great to see Apple adapting to India’s popular UPI framework. The company even recently added UPI, Rupay cards and net banking as supported payment methods in the App Store. So yes, you can use your iPhone to make UPI payments with ease going forward. What do you think of this feature exclusive to India? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.