If you are using a Mac and own an Android device, you must have noticed that you cannot use it the same way you use your Android device with a Windows PC. macOS does not support plug-and-play Android devices. There is an official Google app for exactly this purpose – Android File Transfer. However, the app is more of a problem than a solution and so I wouldn’t recommend using it. So, if you want to transfer files between your Mac and Android phone, here are the different ways to do it:
Handshaker is a great app that lets you connect your Android device to your Mac and easily transfer files and photos over a USB cable. You will need to install both the Mac and Android apps before transferring files between the two devices. The app offers a great interface and file transfers are pretty fast. We tried transferring a 1.12GB video file from our Mac to an Android device and got speeds ranging from 8 to 8.3 MBps.
To install the application you need to follow the steps below:
one. Install Handshaker on your Mac. Launch the app and then connect your Android phone to your Mac with a USB cable. Android app must be installed on your phone. If not, you can install it from somewhere. QR code in Mac app.
2. After installing the app on your Android device, reconnect your device With your Mac, you will be able to see all your files and photos in the Handshaker app.
Now you can Easily copy and paste files between your Mac and Android device. The app has a good interface and file transfer is great. The app lets you manage your files, photos, music and more.
download for Match (Free)
AirDroid is an app that lets you transfer files between an Android device and a Mac. Not only that, the app also lets you check your messages, take screenshots, and more. You can even enable notification mirroring, so your phone’s notifications will be mirrored to your laptop in real time. The app is also available as a dedicated Mac app, but AirDroid web client To manage your phone
To transfer files and data using AirDroid, simply follow the steps below:
1. Install AirDroid on your Android device. On your Mac, navigate to: Airdroid web client. Then on you Android device, start the application and Tap the QR code icon.
2. Point your device at the QR code displayed in the AirDroid web client. When your phone recognizes the QR code, tap on “.REGISTER” on your Android device.
3. In the web client, you can now click on it. “Folders”, To access files stored on your Android device
AirDroid also Allows you to install APKs Much easier from your computer to Android device without having to transfer the APK and then install it. The app comes with a lot more features though some of them are only available for premium users. However, if you’re just looking for file management, AirDroid can definitely help you do that, and then some.
download for Android and Match (Free, Paid plans start at $1.99 per month)
Shareit is another app that lets you transfer files between your Mac and Android device. The app works by creating a direct WiFi connection between devices transferring files so you get a good enough transfer speed. You will need to install the Shareit app on both your Mac and Android device. Once you’ve done that, simply follow these steps to transfer files between your Mac and Android device:
1. Launch SHAREit on both your Mac and Android device. If you want to send a file from your Mac to your Android device, tap on it. “Receive” on your Android device.
2. Tap on “connect to PCClick on ” and “To go“.
3. Next, tap on “.Scan to Connect” and point your phone at the QR code displayed by the SHAREit app on your Mac. The two devices will automatically connect.
Now, you can simply drag and drop files It will be streamed in the Mac app and to your Android device. It’s very easy and works well. However, I personally did not find Shareit as reliable as Handshaker or AirDroid.
download for Android and Match (Free)
FTP or File Transfer Protocol is another way you can use to transfer files between your Mac and Android device. If you are using a file manager app like ES File Explorer You don’t need anything else on your Android device. You can create an FTP server on your Mac and connect to it from your Android device to transfer files between the two devices. To do this, simply follow the steps below:
1. On your Mac, first launch Terminal. Type here “sudo -s launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ftp.plist“. This will create an FTP server on your Mac.
2. Go to ES File Explorer on your Android device. Here, tap the hamburger icon in the top left. Under “Network“Tap on “FTP“.
3. Here, tap on “.newTap ” in the upper right corner, then tap “FTP“.
4. Fill in the details for your FTP server.
- Under Server, enter your Mac’s IP address. To find it, simply type “ifconfig | grep login | grep 192“
- Login Username and password. These will be the same as your Mac’s login credentials.
5. Leave the remaining entries untouched and tap “.OK“.
Your server will be added to ES File Explorer. You can do Tap the server in ES File explorer to explore files on your Macand you can transfer files and folders between your Mac and Android device.
SEE ALSO: 7 Best Tools to Manage Mac and Android
Easily Transfer Files Between Mac and Android
These were some of the best methods you can use to transfer files between your Android device and your Mac. There are both wireless and wired methods you can use. While wireless methods are generally easier to manage, wired connections generally offer a much faster (and more reliable) transfer of data between devices. So, what methods do you use to transfer files between Mac and Android? Have you tried using any of the methods we mentioned in this article? If you run into any issues while using these methods, let us know in the comments section below.