iOS 14 is packed with a host of eye-catching features, including home screen widgets and the App Library, while its hidden features like the Back Tap feature that has made waves. The Back Tap feature is particularly important as it opens the door to endless possibilities. Specifically, you can use Back Tap to launch any app in iOS 14 by double/triple tapping the back of your iPhone. But it is not clear how to do this. In this article, we will show you how you can use Back Tap to launch any app in iOS 14.
Use Back Tap to Launch Any App in iOS 14
If you’re late to the party, let me brief you a bit. Back Tap is part of the Accessibility suite and allows users to enable several predefined actions/features such as taking screenshots, opening Control Center, enabling Accessibility features like AssistiveTouch, VoiceOver, Zoom.
Apart from invoking these predefined features, you can also set up iPhone Back Tap custom controls with the help of the Shortcuts app to perform a number of different tasks. We will take advantage of this Shortcut integration to launch an app using the touch gesture.
To begin with, you need to first create a custom shortcut using the Shortcuts app and then set it up with a double or triple tap to open your favorite app by tapping the back of your iOS device.
Creating a Shortcut to Open an iPhone App
1. Start Shortcuts Tap and on your iPhone. “+” button in the upper right corner.
2. Now, tap on Add Action.
3. Next, tap on it. search bar and then call open applooks like a grid of colored squares.
4. Next, tap on it. To choose.
5. You should see the following: application listYou can open it using the double/triple tap gesture on your iPhone. Select the preferred application. In this test, I will choose camera app.
Note: You can also use this hack to launch Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa on your iPhone with just two/three taps on the back panel of your iPhone. If you are not satisfied with Siri or want to get the most out of competing personal assistants, you should try this trick.
6. Now, tap on Next in the upper right corner.
7. Finally, enter a name for your shortcut and shoot Completed to approve.
This much! Your custom shortcut is now ready. Follow the steps below to set the shortcut by double or triple tapping it.
Use iPhone Back Tap Custom Controls in iOS 14
1. Start Settings app Select on your iPhone and Accessibility.
2. Now, tap on To touch and then select Tap Back at the bottom (on the next screen).
3. Next, select Double Tap or Triple Tap. It’s worth noting that you can choose to set any of the two or both tap gestures.
4. Next, scroll down Shortcuts section and select the name of the shortcut you just created.
That is all!
Going forward, you can use this double or triple tap gesture to launch any app by tapping the back panel of your iPhone. The best part is that Back Taps work from the home screen, within apps (including third-party), and even from your iPhone lock screen. This means you can launch your favorite apps from anywhere.
Using iPhone Back Tap Special Controls to Launch an App
So you can make the most of a dedicated back-tap control to open an iPhone app. It’s really a super cool feature. Recently, we covered a few key issues with iOS 14. So if you missed some of the great ones, check them out.
- What is Power Reserve Mode and how to use it in iOS 14?
- How to use Picture-in-Picture mode in iOS 14?
- How to use Voice Recognition in iOS 14?
Also, share your feedback on the latest iteration of iOS and the features you find quite remarkable in it.