Over the past year, Discord has received several updates to make it a mainstream communication platform not just focused on gamers. A prime example of this would be Discord Stage Channels, the company’s Clubhouse-like feature to encourage open interactions. With a growing overall user base, if your friends have recently joined the platform, here’s how you can host a Netflix streaming party on Discord. We will teach you how to stream Netflix on Discord without sound and black screen issue.
Stream Netflix on Discord (2022)
Before you ask, how to stream Netflix on Discord mobile apps? I’ll tell you right now. You can’t stream Netflix on Discord’s mobile apps, including iOS and Android, due to DRM limitations. However, you can easily share your screen on Discord mobile. And if Netflix isn’t exactly what you’re looking for, you can also host a Spotify listening party on Discord. That said, here’s how you can watch Netflix movies and TV shows with your friends on Discord.
note: While this article focuses on Netflix, you can follow these steps to stream your favorite TV shows and movies on any of the popular streaming services like Amazon Prime Video and Disney+ Hotstar.
1. Download the Discord App
If you are using the web version of Discord like me, you will first need to download the Discord application. You can download the application from the company’s website. official website. After downloading the app, sign in by scanning a QR code from the mobile app or using your Discord credentials.
2. Disable Hardware Acceleration: Fix Black Screen Issue to Stream Netflix on Discord
Now one of the most common problems people face when trying to stream Netflix on Discord is black screen. So if you are wondering how to get rid of black screen while streaming on Discord or how to stream Netflix without black screen? Well, we got you covered.
If you don’t want to see a black screen while streaming Netflix on Discord, turn off hardware acceleration in your browser. We’ve added steps to disable hardware acceleration in three popular browsers: Google Chrome, Edge and Firefox. You can follow the steps according to your preferred browser. If you’re using a browser we haven’t mentioned here, go to its Settings and look for hardware acceleration and disable the toggle.
note: This method won’t work in Safari for Mac because starting with macOS Catalina you can now manually turn hardware acceleration on and off. Thus, when you try to stream Netflix on Safari for Mac, you will see a black screen.
Disable Hardware Acceleration in Google Chrome
1. Open Chrome, click the vertical ellipsis menu in the upper right corner and select “Settings”.
2. Go to the “System” tab from the left sidebar under “Advanced” settings and Disable the switch that says “Use hardware acceleration when available”. Restart Chrome after disabling the toggle.
Disable Hardware Acceleration in Microsoft Edge
1. Open Edge and go to “Settings” by clicking the horizontal ellipsis menu from the top right corner.
2. Switch to the “System” tab from the left sidebar and Disable the “Use hardware acceleration when available” toggle. Once done, restart the browser to stream Netflix on Discord without the black screen issue.
Disable Hardware Acceleration in Firefox
1. If you are using Firefox, click on the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) in the upper right corner and select “Settings”.
2. Scroll down until you find it. “Performance” section Under the “General” tab. Here you will find a checkbox that says “Use recommended performance settings”. Uncheck it and you will see another checkbox to disable hardware acceleration. Uncheck the “Use hardware acceleration when available” checkbox. additionally.
3. Play Netflix and Install Discord
Now that you’ve disabled hardware acceleration, you’re all set to stream Netflix for your friends on Discord. Follow the steps below to get started:
1. Open Netflix and have your favorite Netflix movie or series ready to play. Once you’ve done that, minimize the tab and open the Discord app.
2. In the Discord app, Click on the “Settings” icon next to your username in the lower left corner.
3. From the Settings page, Go to the “Activity Status” tab from the left sidebar and “Add!” Click the button. button “Don’t you see your game?” next to the item.
4. You will now see a list of apps running in the background. Select the browser window with Netflix and click the “Add Game” button.
5. Now go to the server where you want to stream the movie or TV show and Click the “Stream” button present it above your username. Alternatively, you can join an audio channel, click the “Share screen” button in the bottom left, and choose the browser you use to watch Netflix.
6. Select the audio channel where you want to host the movie and set the resolution. If you don’t have Discord Nitro, the maximum resolution you can stream is 720p at 30fps. To stream Netflix at 1080p/ 60fps, you will need a Discord Nitro subscription.
7. After selecting the channel and stream quality, Click the “Go Live” button To start the stream
8. That’s it. Server members are now click on the “Live” tag on the audio channel and join your Netflix viewing party on Discord.
9. When you want to end the viewing party, “end call” button from the left sidebar.
Q. Why does my screen go black when streaming Netflix on Discord?
Getting a black screen while streaming Netflix on Discord is one of the most common problems. You can fix the Netflix black screen issue by disabling hardware acceleration in your web browser. The steps for each browser can be found above.
Q. Is it legal to watch Netflix on Discord?
Q. Can I watch Netflix on Discord from mobile devices?
No, you cannot watch Netflix on Discord from your mobile device due to DRM limitations.
Watch Netflix Shows with Friends on Discord
This is how you can stream Netflix on Discord. Once you get past the minor annoyance of turning off hardware acceleration, it’s a simple process. But the reward is that you can enjoy a fun movie night with your friends, and it’s well worth it. If you’re looking for other options to watch movies online with your friends, check out our linked guide. We also have a separate guide on how to set up an Amazon Prime Video watch party, so be sure to check out if Prime Video is your preferred streaming platform.