Discord started as a chat service for players to stay connected with their teammates and eventually evolved into a platform that hosts a wide variety of communities that are not just gamers. If you’re an active Discord user, you may already know that the company never really offered the option to share your screen on mobile, while offering functionality on desktop versions. Fortunately, that has now changed. After beta testing screen sharing on Android, Discord finally added mobile screen sharing on iOS and Android. Today we will take a look at how you can use this feature on your smartphone.
Share Screen on Discord Mobile
We’ll cover how to start or stop screen sharing, how you can join a session, supported platforms, and things to keep in mind when using the feature. Feel free to use the table of contents below to navigate these sections.
Start Screen Sharing on Discord Mobile
1. The first step to start a screen sharing session on Discord mobile, start an audio or video call. You can do this in a personal chat, group DM, or a server’s audio/video channels. In the upper right corner of the application you will find the button to start an audio or video call.
2. When you enter, you will see a new ‘Screen Share’ button in the search interface. If you are on a voice call, you can access the screen share button from: swiping up from the bottom of the page. For video callers, the option to start screen sharing is just below the quick controls.
3. As soon as you tap the screen share button, a prompt will appear asking you to confirm whether you want to share your screen. Press ‘Start now’ to start the screen sharing session. If successful, ‘You are sharing your screen!’ You will see a page that says Then you can switch to other apps you want to share with your friends.
Stop Screen Sharing on Discord Mobile
1. After completing screen sharing, you have three options to stop the session. First you have to go back to the Discord app. From the screen sharing confirmation page, tap on ‘Stop Sharing’. Alternatively, you can press the ‘Stop Streaming’ button from the bottom navigation panel to end the session.
2. If you are in a hurry, you can also access the notification panel and tap the ‘Stop streaming’ button in the notification of the Discord app to end the session.
Join a Discord Screen Sharing Session
1. Now that you know how to start and stop screen sharing, let’s take a look at how you can join a friend’s screen share. As soon as a friend starts sharing their screen while you are connected via audio/video, You will see a button titled ‘Watch Broadcast’. Tap on it to join.
2. You can switch between streams, especially if multiple friends are sharing their screens at the same time. To change broadcasts, all you have to do is press the Watch Broadcast button on your second friend’s broadcast.
Supported Platforms and Apps
You can use Discord’s mobile screen sharing on Android and iOS. feature Supports Android phones running Lollipop (5.0) and above. Also, audio sharing in screen sharing session is supported on devices running Android 10 and higher. You can use screen sharing on both Android and iOS, but the company Does not support the feature in iOS 12 right now. But the good news is that the developers on Discord are working to add support in the near future.
As for apps, Discord states that a few apps may not support audio sharing on Android devices. However, it should work in most applications you use on a daily basis. On a similar note, remember that you cannot use this feature on streaming apps like Netflix and Spotify due to application restrictions. Another thing worth mentioning is that you need Video permissions in your role to be able to share your screen within a server.
Precautions to Take When Using Discord Mobile Screen Sharing
When screen sharing, remember that viewers can look at everything that appears on your phone’s screen. Therefore, if you have sensitive information floating around unprotected on your phone, especially in the photo gallery, you may need to cross-validate before sharing it. You can use one of these apps to hide private photos and videos.
To avoid the extra burden, the company recommends closing currently unused apps before sharing your screen. You can also enable Do Not Disturb mode to avoid notifications and unwanted interruptions while in the middle of a session.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use Discord screen sharing on iPads?
No. You cannot currently use Discord’s screen sharing on iPads. However, Discord promises to support this feature on iPads in a future release. Meanwhile, you can use services like Zoom to share your screen from iPad with your friends.
2. What is the limit of simultaneous viewers in Discord screen share?
Screen sharing streams on Discord are currently a 50 viewers total excluding broadcaster.
3. How can I share the screen via Discord on iPhones?
You can follow the steps in the ‘Start Screen Sharing in Discord Mobile’ section to get started. However, keep in mind that iOS 12 is not currently supported.
4. I can’t see the screen share button in Discord. What should I do?
5. Can I watch Netflix with my friends via Discord screen share?
Unfortunately, you can’t use Discord’s mobile screen sharing to watch Netflix with your friends. Check out our guide with apps to watch movies online with your friends.
Use Discord Screen Sharing on Android and iOS
So, here you are. While it took a while for Discord to add screen sharing to its mobile app, I’m glad the company has finally decided to add the feature, especially since its desktop counterpart has been offering this feature since 2017. When I tried the feature, the video output looked good enough without any significant lag. Whether it’s to share the gameplay of your favorite game or watch a funny video with your friends, Discord’s screen sharing helps. Happy sharing and if you have any questions feel free to contact us in the comments.