Resetting your AirPods is easy and takes less than a minute. If you’re getting ready to sell your AirPods or are having any issues, you should reset your AirPods.
reset AirPods, AirPods 2, AirPods Proor AirPods Max. resets them to factory settings. The next time you turn on your AirPods near an iPhone or iPad, you’ll be prompted to set them up as if they were brand new.
Before following the steps below, keep in mind that once you do this, your AirPods will no longer recognize devices connected to your iCloud account.
How to Reset AirPods
First, make sure your AirPods are closed in their case. It is impossible to reset your AirPods if they are out of the box.
Once you’ve done that, here’s how to reset your AirPods:
- Keep your AirPods inside the box for 30 seconds.
- Open the cover of the AirPod case.
- On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch go to Settings and go to Bluetooth.
- Tap the “i” icon next to your AirPods while in the Bluetooth section. If they are not listed there, you can skip this step.
- Tap ‘Forget This Device’ and then tap again to confirm the change.
- With the cover of your AirPods case open, press and hold the setup button on the back of the case for about 15 seconds. You can release your finger when you see the status light flashing amber.
- If you want to reconnect your AirPods to a device, keep the cover open and bring it closer to the device you want to connect.
- Follow the instructions on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
How to Reset AirPods Max
Apple has a different process for resetting AirPods Max earbuds.
If you encounter problems with your AirPods Max, you should try restarting them. Before you do, be sure to charge them for a few minutes.
Once you’ve done that, here’s how to restart your AirPods Max:
- Press and hold the noise control button and the Digital Crown (both located on the top of the earbuds) until the LED flashes amber. The status light is located on the bottom of the headset.
If that doesn’t work, you can try factory reset. Doing so will cause them to unpair from your iCloud account and revert to their original out-of-the-box settings.
Here’s how to reset a pair of AirPods Max earphones:
If you continue to have problems with AirPods, AirPods 2, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max, you may want to contact Apple support if they are under warranty.