Most of us use our Android devices to listen to music on the go. Some prefer to have an offline music collection, some prefer to stream music and some like to play music on YouTube. If you’re someone with a music playlist on YouTube, you know you can’t stream music in the background with the screen off unless you have a YouTube Red subscription, which is limited to a few countries. What if I told you there is a way to listen to YouTube videos with your screen off? So without further ado, Here’s how to play YouTube videos with the screen off:
Play YouTube Videos with Screen Off Using Third-Party Apps
If you’re one of those users who regularly uses YouTube to stream music but is sick of having your screen always on, this app is for you. Thanks to XDA Developer cygery we now have an app called. Display Backlight Off. With this application, you can easily turn off your screen while listening to the music you want. Read on as we tell you how to listen to YouTube videos with the screen off on Android:
note: The following method requires root access.
- To get things started, you need to allow your device to install third-party apps. To do this, just Android Settings and go to “Security” choice. Once there, make sure you have the option. “Unknown sources” Is controlled.
- Next is what you need to do Install Screen Backlight OFF via APK file which can be found here. Download the file to your device and install it like any regular APK.
- The next step is to open the app and give it root access. Additionally, if you’re using it on a device with Android 6.0+, you’ll also need to: Grant overlay permissions.
- This much. Your app is now installed. You should now be receiving a notification similar to the one below in your notification panel. It’s permanent notification works as a toggle To turn off your screen at any time. You can also adjust the app according to your style like changing the Activation Delay.
How to Use Screen Backlight Off
- open youtube Open the app and play any music video you want to listen to. Swipe down from the notification panel to reveal the Screen Backlight OFF toggle and just tap the toggle button.
- This much. The screen will take some time to complete turns off the backlight. For a moment you will see the entire screen is off, but the navigation bar is still showing as shown in the image below. Don’t worry, this is completely normal behavior. Wait another second or two and the screen will turn off completely.
You can also use the same procedure to listen to audio from videos stored locally on your device and any other media player. It will also work on any video streaming website like YouTube. To wake the screen, simply tap the screen.
Alternatives for Non-Root Users
While the aforementioned app works great, it does require root access, which you may not have. Alternatively, you can use black (Freewith any in-app purchases), a simple app that lets you simulate a lock screen on your current screen. This acts as a secondary screen lock for your device and is actually an overlay. Although it is suitable for non-root users, the battery usage increases even more considering that it adds an overlay to the screen. On the other hand, Screen Backlight OFF provides a great experience as it aims to turn off the screen backlight itself with the help of root access. saving some juice as well.
SEE ALSO: How to Play YouTube Videos in the Background
Play YouTube Videos with Screen Off on Android with These Methods
Screen Backlight OFF is a small but stylish tool to listen to the audio of YouTube videos without extracting or converting the video. It allows you to listen to YouTube videos with the screen off, which really helps you save a lot of battery while enjoying the audio. So, if you are someone who has a music playlist on YouTube and you want to play YouTube videos with the screen off, the above mentioned methods will work for you. So, give them a try and let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.