No one likes to wake up on a fine Sunday morning to realize that a system update has exhausted their data plan’s fair usage limit. Fortunately, Windows 11 comes with built-in features that monitor your internet data usage so you can keep track of the apps that are using your internet data. In this article, you will learn how to monitor internet usage on your Windows 11 PC.
Monitoring Internet Usage in Windows 11 (2022)
Viewing Internet Data Usage in Windows 11
1. Open the Settings app using the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut “Win+I” and Skip to “Network and internet” from the left sidebar. At the bottom of this page, click on “Advanced network settings” in the right pane.
2. Now find and click on “Data usage” option under “Other settings” section.
3. Now you will see the data you have used for the last 30 days in the upper left corner. Here you have the option to switch between wired and wireless networking modes from the right corner if you often use wired connection to access the internet. You will also see network usage statistics per application on this page.
Reset Internet Data Usage in Windows 11
For a fresh start, you can choose to reset data usage in Windows 11. Here’s how to do this:
1. Open the Settings app, navigate to “Network & internet” from the left sidebar and click “Advanced network settings”.
2. From the Advanced network settings page, under “Other settings” select “Data usage”.
3. Scroll down until you find “Reset usage statistics” and Click the “Reset” button.
Installation Data Limit in Windows 11
If you don’t have an internet connection with unlimited data, it would be a great idea to set a data limit to make sure you don’t exceed it. Your Windows 11 PC will prompt you to receive a warning message when you are close to running out of your monthly data limit.
- To get started, open the Settings app, navigate to “Network & internet” in the left sidebar and click “Advanced network settings”.
2. Click “Data usage” in the “Other settings” section.
3. In the upper right corner, Click the “Enter limit” button just below the network type drop-down list.
4. From the popup window that now appears, enter your preferred data limit in the box and click “Save”. You can also choose between monthly, one-time, or unlimited data cap types.
5. After setting the data limit, you will see the percentage of data you used during the month on the “Data usage” page.
6. Now that you have set a data limit, you may want to consider enabling the “Limited connection” toggle. In this way, you can reduce and limit the data usage on your Windows 11 PC.
Monitor Data Usage on Your Windows 11 PC
The option to check internet data usage helps you get a better idea of the apps consuming your network data. If you’re wondering how your internet data is running out fast, we hope this guide will help you find the root cause. For other network-related issues, check out our articles on how to fix ‘Network Discovery is Turned Off’ error in Windows 11 and enable ‘Wake on LAN’ in Windows 11.