Amid much fanfare, Xiaomi recently announced MIUI 12, followed by the first closed beta for several devices. As with MIUI, closed betas are usually first released in China and then distributed to the rest of the world. In such a scenario, Xiaomi users from all over the world cannot experience the new MIUI 12 build. We still managed to install MIUI 12 on our Redmi K20 via TWRP. We’ve also curated the top 25 features of MIUI 12, so you can check out all the exciting new features. So, if you are also looking for a way to install MIUI 12 on your Xiaomi device, you have come to the right place. In this post, we cover the complete installation process of MIUI 12 with step-by-step instructions. Now, without wasting any time, let’s move on to the guide and learn how to install MIUI 12.
1. First of all, you need an unlocked bootloader. If you haven’t done this yet, you can try this method to unlock the bootloader instantly. Sign in with an old Mi account The one you used to unlock the bootloader in the past. I tried this method on my Redmi K20 and the bootloader was unlocked immediately without any waiting time. Other than that, keep in mind that unlocking the bootloader will completely wipe your device, so it will back up all your files and folders.
2. Second, you need to install ADB on your computer.
3. Next, download TWRP from: official website for your particular device. Moreover search for the latest TWRP Build from XDA forums for your Xiaomi device.
3. Finally, download MIUI 12 Recovery ROM from: below episode.
Download MIUI 12 Recovery ROM
- Redmi K20 Pro (download) — Additional steps required for Indian variant (see below)
- Redmi K20 / Mi 9T (download) — Additional steps required for Indian variant (see below)
- Redmi K30 / Poco X2 (download) — Additional steps required for Indian variant (see below)
- Redmi Note 8 Pro (download)
- Redmi Note 7 Pro (download)
- Redmi Note 7 / 7S (download)
- Redmi Note 5 Pro (download)
- Redmi K30 5G (download)
- Mi 10 Pro (download)
- Mi 10 (download)
- Mi Note 10 (download)
- mi 9 (download)
- Mi 9 SE (download)
- Mi 8 (download)
- Mi 8 Lite (download)
- Mi6X (download)
- mi 6 (download)
- Mi Mix 3 (download)
- Mi Mix 2S (download)
Make Chinese MIUI 12 ROM Compatible with Indian Variants [Only For K20 Pro, K20 and Poco X2]
Internal specs of some devices launched in India are almost similar between Chinese and Indian variants, but there is a difference in the codenames. For example, the K20 Pro is coded as:
raphael in China and
raphaelin in india. Similarly, K20 is coded as:
davinci in China and
davinciin in india. Finally, the Poco X2, which is actually a rebranded Redmi K30, is coded as:
phoenix in China and
phoenixin in india.
As we have seen,
in is added to all Indian codenames. So all we have to do is just add
in at the end of the codename and everything will be ready. After that, the Chinese MIUI 12 build will be compatible with the Indian variants. As a result, you will not encounter ‘Error 7’ in TWRP while installing MIUI 12. Here’s how to do this.
1. Download MIUI 12 ROM (K20 Pro, K20 or Poco X2) for your device from above section. Be sure download the file to your computer.
2. After that, Install WinRAR (Free) or on your computer. Next, right-click on MIUI 12 ROM and select “Extract to Miui”.
3. After the extraction is complete, open the extracted folder and META-INF -> com -> google -> android. Here right click on “updater-script” and open with “Notepad”.
4. In the first line, Add
in finally from the codename. For example, here I changed
5. Now, click on “File” and save him. Finally, close the text file.
6. Next, go to the main folder and select all files and folders. After that, right click on the selection and Select “Add to archive”.
7. Here, Choose “ZIP” Select it as your archive format and click the “OK” button.
8. A new ZIP file will be created in the same home folder in a few minutes. Now, this is your updated MIUI 12 build and you can transfer it to your smartphone for further setup.
Install MIUI 12 on Any Xiaomi Device
I assume you have already downloaded MIUI 12 ROM, TWRP and unlocked the bootloader. Also, make sure backup all your personal files and folders because this action will wipe the whole device.
1. First of all, Flash MIUI 12 ROM If you downloaded it to your computer, to your Xiaomi device.
2. Then connect your device to computer and run ADB. Next, execute the following command to boot your device. Quick start mode.
adb reboot bootloader
3. Run after entering fastboot mode
fastboot devices To check the connection If it returns a serial number then your device connects to computer successfully.
4. Now, run the following command to install TWRP. Make sure to rename the TWRP file.
recovery and put it in the same ADB folder.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
5. After installing TWRP, disconnect your device from the computer. Now, Press and hold the Volume Up and Power button Release the buttons once the device restarts and shows the Mi/Redmi/Poco logo. You will now boot directly into TWRP.
6. Go now Delete -> Advanced Delete and select Dalvik, Cache, System, Data and Vendor. Make sure you don’t touch ‘Internal Storage’ as MIUI 12 stores the ROM file. Then swipe to delete.
7. After doing this, Go to “Install” and select MIUI 12 ROM file and swipe to install.
8. After installation, go to “Wipe” again and Tap on “Format Data”. Now, type
yes and it will completely wipe the device. This step is required to exit the encryption loop.
9. Finally, Tap on “Reboot System” and you will boot directly into MIUI 12. If TWRP gives an ‘Operating System not installed’ error, don’t worry. Reboot the system anyway and you will boot to MIUI 12.
My MIUI 12 Experience on Redmi K20
If you are wondering if you should install MIUI 12 then my advice would be to continue with the installation. I haven’t found any bugs in my testing so far and the UI/UX is a significant improvement from last year’s MIUI 11. In fact, the new moves, control center and animations are so good you have to taste them. MIUI 12 is currently out. As for performance, I did not encounter any lag or freeze behavior This is great considering it’s the first beta. Also, the battery life is pretty good – not in the stable MIUI 11 league – but fully usable. Apart from that, you can change the language to English and install Play Store and other Google services directly from GetApps. Overall, my MIUI 12 experience has been pretty good so far and you can definitely try it on your Xiaomi device.
Experience MIUI 12 on Your Xiaomi Phone Now
So you can install MIUI 12 and experience the new UI on your Xiaomi device. I have provided all the steps so go through the step by step instructions and I am sure you will boot MIUI 12 without any problems. Anyway, apart from the aforementioned devices, Xiaomi has not released MIUI 12 ROM for the troublesome Poco F1. However, we’ll definitely let you know when we get the MIUI 12 build for the Poco F1. Comment below if you face any problem while installing MIUI 12. We will definitely help you.