With the Windows 10 Anniversary Update released last year, a never-before-seen feature was brought to Windows, and that’s Bash on Ubuntu on Windows. Make no mistake, this bash shell on Windows is neither a virtual machine nor a compiler, but rather a new Windows subsystem for Linux. It was developed as a result of a collaboration between Microsoft and Canonical, the parent company of Ubuntu Linux. If you are a developer who frequently switches between Linux and Windows, this feature will definitely be essential for you. However, the bash shell is not installed by default and you will have to go into the settings and do some tweaking before installing it on your system. Now, don’t worry, we will let you know exactly Here’s how you can make a Linux Bash Shell in Windows 10:
Installing Linux Bash Shell on Windows 10
note: Linux Bash Shell It’s a feature introduced in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update last year, so you need to have it installed before proceeding with the whole process.
The process is not quite complicated, but it will definitely take a few minutes of your time. To avoid any confusion, follow the steps correctly and install it on your system immediately:
- go start menu and click on gear icon to go “Settings”.
- Now, click “Update and Security”.
- When finished, “For developers” select the section andDeveloper mode” to activate.
- Now that you have successfully enabled developer mode, you need to enable Windows Subsystem for Linux. To do this, first go to: Control Board and click on “Programs”.
- Now, “Turn Windows features on or off” in the Programs and Features section.
- Now, a new window will appear on your screen. Scroll down here and Enable Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta). When you are done, click OK and wait until the process is complete and then restart your computer.
- After restarting your PC, medicine “in “bash” Cortana search bar and press Enter to run the command.
- When bash opens, medicine “to continue. wait a few minutes. Bash to Ubuntu on Windows It is downloaded from the Windows Store and installed on the Windows subsystem.
- After everything is downloaded and installed, you will receive a new UNIX username and password. You will have to retype the password and once the password matches, the installation will be successful.
Bash to Ubuntu on Windows: Experience
Now that you have successfully got Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10 to run on your computer, you can start using Linux compatible file systems and various commands, similar to what you would do on a Linux computer. However, remember that you did not install Ubuntu on your computer. This is actually software that can be used to try standard Linux commands directly on Windows. If you are new to the Linux environment, you can try the following commands, which I have personally tried:
- grebe – Searches named input files for rows that match the specified pattern.
- sed – Stream editor used to perform basic text conversions on an input stream
- awk – Process and analyze text files.
- rm – Remove a directory.
- man – Show the guide of the specific command entered. For example, you can write “man is rm” To get information about rmdir.
It’s not just the use of commands that you should be excited about, as users can run Windows and Linux applications directly from the Bash shell. You will also be able to run bash shell scripts and Linux command line applications.
SEE ALSO: How to Use Game Mode in Windows 10
Ready to Use Bash Shell on Windows 10?
Developers can usually take full advantage of the bash shell if they work on both Linux and Windows. Thanks to Microsoft, this is finally possible. However, the bash shell will either be a feature you will use heavily or you will not use at all. Most users don’t really care about this feature, but if you really want to try and experience the Linux environment, you can do it right away with ease. Do not assume that you are installing Linux directly on your computer, because “Bash on Ubuntu on Windows” it is only considered a tool for running Linux commands from Windows. So, are you excited to try the Linux bash shell on Windows 10? Let us know by shooting your feedback in the comments section below.