If you own a PS4, you’ve probably encountered a lot of slow downloads. Ever since the PS4 was released in 2013, people have often complained about slow download speeds on their consoles over WiFi. Even consumers with high-speed internet connections at home experience throttled speeds on their PS4 systems. This causes game download times to be directly affected. So, today we will let you know a possible fix to this problem to improve your connection speed. Well, without further ado, let’s see How to increase download speed on your PS4:
Change DNS and MTU Settings on PS4
note: I tested this on a PS4 Pro system while downloading Horizon Zero Dawn because the speeds were unbearable. After doing the below action, my speed almost doubled and ETA decreased by half. However, this procedure may or may not fix everyone’s problems.
By default, DNS and MTU settings are set automatically for your internet connection on PlayStation 4. Now we need to change them manually. To do this, simply follow the steps below:
- Click “Brief case” Tap on the home screen of your PS4 system to go to the console settings.
- click Network -> Set Up Internet Connection. Now, if you are using Ethernet for a wired connection to the Internet, “Use a LAN Cable”. Otherwise, choose “Use Wi-Fi”.
- Now “Easy” or “TraditionEstablish your internet connection with the ” mode. click Tradition.
- For IP Address Settings, click “.Automatic“.
- Now, for DHCP Hostname “Do not specify“.
- You will now be asked to choose DNS settings. Click “Manual“.
- You should do it now Enter your Primary and Secondary DNS. You can use Google DNS or OpenDNS for this procedure. Use one of the following:
Primary DNS – 22.214.171.124
Secondary DNS – 126.96.36.199
Primary DNS – 188.8.131.52
Secondary DNS – 184.108.40.206
- When done, click on Next Click Here to switch to MTU settings.Manual“.
- Medicine 1473 in the MTU menu. If this is not accepted by your PS4, type 1450. Next.
- To choose “do not use“For Proxy Server. That’s it for the configuration process.
- Finally, “Test Internet Connection“. Then wait for the speed test to complete, it usually takes about a minute.
Well, it’s that simple, once you do this you should notice a significant improvement in your download speeds. The reason you get this improvement is because ISP’s DNS servers can often be crowded in certain areas. Given that Google DNS and OpenDNS servers are two of the fastest DNS servers in the world, it will definitely be faster than your ISP’s DNS servers. If the procedure didn’t work for you, something else is blocking your speed.
Speeds: Before and After
The WiFi network provides an internet speed of around 5-7 Mbps, so the improvement in speeds was quite significant in our case. The download speed was almost doubled and the upload speed was almost 10x better. While trying to download the Horizon Zero Dawn game, we observed that the ETA decreased by half after Google’s DNS and MTU value were set to 1473. You can see the results for yourself below:
Don’t Use Wi-Fi, Use Ethernet
If the above procedure doesn’t work for you, there is probably something else blocking your speed. Using a WiFi network can also affect your speeds, especially given that the standard PS4 only supports the often crowded 2.4GHz WiFi band. Therefore, connecting directly using a LAN cable would be a much better option to increase your download speeds on PS4.
SEE ALSO: 12 Best PS4 Apps You Should Install on Your Console
Use This Simple Setting to Increase Download Speed on PS4
Well, the procedure is far from complicated and takes only a few minutes. So, if you are one of the PS4 users encountering slow internet speeds, try this procedure and let us know how it improves your download speeds. Also, when I tried this on PS4 Pro, the method should work on original PS4 and PS4 Slim. So give it a try and let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.