Screen flickering is an annoying problem that often frustrates users. If you’re someone who recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11, or if the screen is flickering on your new Windows 11 machine, you’ve come to the right place. We have explained the main causes of screen flickering issues on Windows machines and some helpful solutions to help you fix screen flickering in Windows 11.
What Causes Screen Flickering in Windows 11?
Screen flickering is mostly caused by outdated graphics drivers and incompatible applications. We have detailed possible causes of screen flickering on your Windows 11 PC along with its fixes in this guide. If it’s not caused by a hardware malfunction, you can fix the screen flickering with some easy troubleshooting measures. It includes disconnecting and reconnecting cables, restarting the machine, and changing the screen refresh rate. Read to the end for all possible ways to fix screen flickering in Windows 11.
Methods to Fix Screen Flickering in Windows 11 (2021)
Check Your Monitor Cables
Before we move on to various troubleshooting measures, the easiest way to fix screen flickering in Windows 11 is to check if you have properly connected the display cable to your monitor. You can try disconnecting the monitor from your PC and reconnecting it. If you are using a laptop make sure that the hinge is not broken or damaged as this is one of the possible causes of screen flickering.
Change Highlight Color and Background to Fix Windows 11 Screen Flickering
Windows 10 Known to cause screen flickering issues When you let the OS choose the accent color from your wallpaper. Unfortunately, this issue still exists in Windows 11 and you should avoid using automatic highlight color in Windows 11 to fix the screen flickering issue. This method is useful if you are using slideshow wallpapers. To turn off auto hover colors and slideshow wallpapers, follow these steps:
1. Open Settings with the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut Win+I and click ““Personalization” section from the left sidebar. Now click on “Colors” to access the customization settings.
2. From this settings page, Click on “Accent color” and select “Manual”. Now you are ready and this solution should hopefully fix screen flickering issues in Windows 11.
3. If that doesn’t work, try to disable ““Slideshow” wallpaper option. Click “Background” under Personalization settings to disable the slideshow wallpaper setting.
4. Click the drop-down list to the right of “Customize your background” and Choose Image or Solid color as background. In other words, you should disable slideshow wallpapers to get rid of weird screen flickering in Windows 11.
Disable Animation Effects to Resolve Screen Flickering in Windows 11
Another possible fix for the screen flickering issue is to disable the animation effects on your Windows 11 PC. Check the steps to turn off animation effects in Windows 11 below:
- Open the Settings app and Switch to the “Accessibility” section from the left sidebar. At that time, Click on “Visual effects” to access the animation effects settings
2. All you have to do now is Turn off the “Animation effects” toggle. And you’re done. Try using your Windows 11 PC and check if you are still facing the screen flickering issue. If this did not resolve the issue, try the other methods outlined below.
Disable Hardware Acceleration to Fix Screen Flickering in Chrome
Users report that disabling hardware acceleration helps fix their screen flickering issue. In this guide, we have detailed the steps to disable hardware acceleration in Google Chrome. You can check this guide for instructions to disable hardware acceleration in Edge and Firefox.
1. After opening the Chrome browser, click on the vertical three-dot menu icon in the upper right corner and choose Settings.
2. Switch to the “System” tab under “Advanced” settings from the left sidebar and Turn off the “Use hardware acceleration when available” toggle. Now restart Chrome and you will no longer face screen flickering issues.
Update Display Drivers to Resolve Windows 11 Screen Flickering
If none of the above solutions helped you fix the problem, you can try the classic troubleshooting method – updating the drivers. In this case, update display and graphics drivers To fix the screen flickering issue. Here’s how to update your graphics drivers in Windows 11.
1. Use the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut Win+R to open the Run window and click “devmgmt.msc“To open Device Manager.
2. Expand Display adapters section and right-click on your PC’s graphics card. From the dialog that opens, Select “Update driver” option to update your display drivers.
3. When the drop-down menu appears, you can choose to automatically search the Internet for drivers or manually find and install these drivers from your PC. You can also check for driver updates from the Settings app under the “Optional updates” section of the “Windows Update” page.
The above steps highlight the standard method for updating graphics drivers. Feel free to check out our detailed guide on updating drivers in Windows for drivers specific to popular OEMs like HP, Dell, Asus and more.
Uninstall Incompatible Apps to Stop Screen Flickering
There is a possibility that an incompatible app that was installed recently is causing the screen flickering issue on your Windows 11 PC. We suggest that you try uninstalling the apps you installed just before the flickering issue starts stopping it. Here’s how to uninstall apps in Windows 11:
- Open the Settings app, switch to Apps from the left sidebar and click “Installed apps” To view a list of all the apps you have installed on your PC.
2. Click the “Sort by” drop-down list to make it easier to find the app you recently installed and Last uploaded choice.
3. Now click on the three-dot menu next to the name of each app and click “removeTo remove an app from your Windows 11 PC that may be causing the screen to flicker.
Adjust Refresh Rate to Fix Windows 11 Screen Flickering
1. Open the Settings app and view.
2. Scroll down until you find it. Advanced display setting Under “Related settings”.
3. Now “Choose a refresh rateClick on the drop-down list next to this option and try switching to a different screen refresh rate. If the screen flickering issue is caused by your monitor’s refresh rate, this method should fix it.
Fix Screen Flickering in Windows 11
These are a few nifty methods you can try to fix screen flickering in Windows 11. We hope this guide helped you get rid of the annoying screen flickering issues on your Windows 11 PC. While you’re at it, check out our detailed guides on how to inflate Windows 11 and speed up Windows 11 to ensure a smooth user experience.