Adoption of dark mode for apps was at its peak in 2019. Almost all other software manufacturers have focused on introducing dark mode in their apps. With the introduction of system-wide dark themes on Android and iOS, the transition to the dark side suddenly became seamless. However, if there’s one app that doesn’t follow the industry trend, it has to be Snapchat. The photo-centric messaging platform finally rolled out dark mode on iOS earlier this year, and Android support is still scheduled to arrive soon. Today, we will go through the necessary steps to enable dark mode on Snapchat.
Get Snapchat Dark Mode on iOS and Android (2022)
While the Snapchat app on iPhone includes a native option to enable or disable the dark theme, the Android app is missing this setting. Now, many Android users have been wondering for a long time how to get dark mode on Snapchat on their device. And there you are, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve added a nifty workaround to enable dark theme on Snapchat on your Android phone. Anyway, without further ado, let’s get to the point.
Turn on Dark Mode in Snapchat on your iPhone
1. Tap the Bitmoji icon in the upper left corner to open your Snapchat profile.
2. From the Profile page, press the Settings gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
3. Under “My Account” settings, tap “App View” to display the option to change Snapchat theme.
4. From “Application Appearance” settings “always dark” To enable dark mode on Snapchat from your iPhone.
Get Snapchat Dark Mode on Your Android Phone
Snapchat doesn’t have an official dark mode setting on Android yet. We will update this section as soon as Snapchat announces the dark theme for its Android app. The closest you get right now is to enable the “mandatory system-wide dark mode” option from the developer options. While not perfect, it’s better than staring at the current retina blinding light mode on Android. So, if you’re interested in forcing dark mode on Snapchat for Android, here’s how to do it:
1. Open the Settings app and select “About phoneNow, scroll down until you find “Build number” and tap it seven times. You have now enabled developer mode on your Android device.
2. Go back to the Settings home page and click “System -> Developer options” to access developer options.
3. Here, Enable the “override dark” toggleand you have successfully activated the forced dark mode on your phone. Going forward, you’ll notice that Android will invert colors in apps that don’t have native dark mode support.
Note: Unfortunately, newer versions of Snapchat do not respond to the forced dark mode and the Android app remains in the light theme. Therefore, you will have to download and install an old version of Snapchat from APKMirror.
4. APKMirror link and hit the “Download APK” button to download Snapchat version 10.72.0.0 on your device. You might miss out on new features if you take this approach, but it’s a sacrifice you have to make to get the dark theme for Snapchat right away.
5. As you can see in the image below, the forced dark mode toggle helps you to manually enable the dark theme in Snapchat for Android. The text is legible and there are no readability issues either.
So yes, this is the only solution that allows you to switch to dark mode on Snapchat on an Android device.
Easily Enable Dark Mode on Snapchat
Snapchat is one of the very few mainstream social media apps that doesn’t have dark theme support on Android in 2021. While we hope the company turns things around in the next year, we hope this guide will help you try the feature early on right now. If you’re interested in turning on dark mode in other popular apps, check out our comprehensive guide to enable dark mode anywhere.