PlayStation 5 brings loads of great new features. You get support for 8K gaming, fast-loading games, 4K gaming at 120 FPS, creating parties to play with friends, recording and streaming your games, and more. Higher framerate gaming is obviously more desirable, especially in games like Black Ops Cold War as things look much smoother and better. So, if you’re interested in playing your games in 4K at 120fps, here’s how to enable 120Hz gaming on the PlayStation 5.
Enable 120Hz Gaming on PlayStation 5
To be able to play compatible games at 120 frames per second, you will need to activate the 120Hz mode of your PS5 by switching to performance mode. Here’s how you can do that.
- Go to Settings -> Saved Data and Game/Application Settings.
- Here go to ‘Game Presets’ and select ‘Performance Mode or Resolution Mode’.
- Press ‘X’ and select ‘Performance Mode’. This will enable performance mode in every compatible game on PS5.
After enabling this, you will be able to play compatible games at higher frame rate. As I said before, Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War supports 120Hz gaming on PlayStation 5, so you can take advantage of the feature here. However, keep in mind that using performance mode will turn ray tracing off in most games that support 120FPS. Also, this often causes games on your PS5 to have a lower streaming resolution.
Enable 120Hz in Supported Games
Many games that support 120FPS gaming will also allow you to manually adjust frame rates in-game. As long as your TV supports 120FPS, you can go to the game’s settings and choose between higher frame rate or higher graphics quality.
However, note that some games do not allow users to manually enable/disable 120FPS gameplay. For example, if you have Performance Mode enabled in PS settings, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will automatically switch to 120FPS. Even if this option appears in the settings, you cannot manually change this setting in-game.
List of Games that Support 120 Hz on PlayStation 5
Here is a list of games that support 120FPS gaming on PlayStation 5.
- Borderlands 3
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (lower resolution supported)
- Destiny 2 (Supported lower resolution in Crucible matches)
- Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition (supported in 1080p resolution)
- DIRT 5 (Supported in low resolution)
- Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (Supported in native 4K resolution)
- Nioh Collection (Supported in low resolution)
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
- Fortnite (Supported in low resolution)
- WRC9 (supported in ‘Performance Mode’)
Note: Click the link to see the list of games that support the Adaptive Triggering feature of the DualSense controller.
Enjoy 120 FPS Gameplay on PlayStation 5
This is how you can enable 120 FPS gaming on your new PlayStation 5. Obviously, a lot of this depends on the game you’re trying to play at higher frame rates. You also need to make sure that your TV or monitor also supports high refresh rates. With all that said, you’ll need the HDMI 2.1 cable that came with the console and a TV/monitor with HDMI 2.1 to support 4K at 120FPS gaming.
So, do you play games at higher frame rates or with better graphics? Let us know in the comments.