As portable productivity machines, one of the key advantages of laptops is battery life. While exact battery life depends on a variety of factors, including the laptop’s features and your usage habits, battery health plays a vital role in the overall laptop battery life. If you’ve noticed lately that your laptop battery isn’t lasting as long as it used to, your laptop battery health has deteriorated. So today we will take a look at the steps on how to check your laptop battery health in Windows 11.
Check Laptop Battery Health in Windows 11 (2021)
Besides the official method of checking laptop battery health in Windows 11, we have included many more resources in this article. Here you’ll find a third-party battery health checker app, steps to monitor usage, and some useful tips for improving your Windows 11 laptop’s battery life. So without wasting any time, let’s get straight to the point.
What is Battery Health in Windows 11?
Battery health is a measure of your laptop’s battery life. As the battery goes through multiple charge cycles over several months, its overall full charge capacity begins to decline. Over time, the available battery capacity deviates noticeably from the original capacity you had when you first purchased the notebook. Here, battery health represents the percentage of original battery capacity remaining in your laptop.
Check Laptop Battery Health in Windows 11
1. Open the start menu and Search Command Prompt. From the right panel, Click run as administrator. You can also use PowerShell to check your laptop’s battery health.
2. When the Command Prompt window opens, paste the following command and press Enter. Then Windows 11 will generate the battery report of your laptop.
3. Now, Go to C:\Windows\system32 and search for ‘battery-report.html’. Clicking on the HTML file will open the report in your default browser in Windows 11. This battery report will have several details about your laptop battery including installed batteries, last usage, battery capacity history and more.
4. Under the ‘batteries installed’ section, find original design capacity and current full charge capacity. In this case, the total capacity decreased from 51,300 mWh to 43,069 mWh. Calculating the difference, this Windows 11 laptop’s battery health is currently at 84 percent.
5. You also get a detailed weekly history of battery capacity in the report. This way you can keep track of how your laptop battery is getting low after months of use.
6. The report also highlights battery life estimates at current and original capacity. It will give you an idea of the battery life you should get, as opposed to the battery life you currently get from the laptop.
7. Also, if you scroll down, you’ll see Microsoft’s estimate of battery life since you installed the latest desktop operating system – when you upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11. In this case, the life of the laptop should be 4:50:47. At its design capacity (4 hours and 50 minutes), it only manages to achieve a relatively lower 4:04:08 (4 hours and 4 minutes) battery life in its current state.
Check Battery Health Using Third-Party Apps
Another way to check your laptop’s battery health is with a third-party application. While there are several battery health checker apps available in the market, it is the only one that is free and simple. BatteryInformation View.
BatteryInfoView highlights important details about your Windows 11 laptop’s battery such as power status, current capacity, designed capacity, battery health and voltage. You even get the option to export these battery statistics as a text file, CSV file, or HTML document. So go ahead and download this third party battery health checker app from the link below.
Download BatteryInfoView (free)
Monitoring Battery Usage Per App in Windows 11
If you’re having a battery drain issue on your Windows 11 laptop, it could be due to one of your installed apps. Fortunately, you can control the per-app battery usage from Windows 11 Settings and weed out the culprit.
To do this, go to: Settings -> System -> Power & Battery and you will see the list of apps that are draining your battery. Here you can view the apps currently in use, apps running in the background, and sort apps by general usage. For more detailed instructions, check out our article on timely checking the screen in Windows 11.
Tips for Increasing Battery Life in Windows 11
An easy way to increase battery life on Windows 11 laptops, change power settings. Laptops typically offer a performance mode, balanced mode, and power saving mode. In performance mode you can push your laptop to its limits for resource-intensive tasks, but this will affect battery life.
Therefore, it is recommended to use the notebook in Balanced mode to get adequate performance without harming battery life. Of course, you can change the power mode settings in Windows 11 according to your use case. You will find detailed instructions for doing this in our linked article. And for more such tips, check out our article on improving battery life on Windows laptops.
Check Battery Health of Windows 11 Laptop and Replace Battery If Necessary
That brings us to the end of our guide to checking the battery health of your Windows 11 laptop. It is important to emphasize that the laptop battery should be replaced when the original battery wears out to prolong your battery life and prevent potential accidents. When replacing the battery, it is recommended to have an authorized battery replacement. If you plan to replace the battery yourself, be sure to find a compatible battery that works with the hardware specifications of your Windows 11 laptop.