All new versions of Windows come with power mode settings that allow you to control your computer’s power consumption. Windows 11 is no exception. This means that Windows 11, like its predecessors, lets you assign different settings to balance performance with energy consumption. Today, we’ll take a look at how you can change the power mode settings on your Windows 11 computer to improve battery life or boost system performance.
Change Power Mode Settings in Windows 11 (Guide)
By default, Windows 11 uses a “balanced” power mode that optimizes performance with power consumption. However, you can change this to save energy at the expense of raw performance or get the best performance with increased battery usage. Windows 10 offers at least three ways to change your device’s power mode settings, including the option to quickly switch between power modes from the battery icon in the System Tray in the Taskbar. In Windows 11 you can only do this from the Control Panel or the Settings menu. So let’s check out how it works.
Method 1: Change Power Mode via Settings in Windows 11
The easiest way to change power modes in Windows 11 is in the Settings app. And this is how you go:
- Open Settings via the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut Win + I. Next, “system” in the left sidebar and select “Power” (“Power and Battery” on laptops) from the right pane.
- Now scroll down”power mode” and select from the three available modes using the drop-down menu (which shows Balanced by default): Best power efficiency, Balanced and Best performance.
Any changes you make will be saved automatically. Depending on the mode you choose, Windows 11 will now either offer better performance at the expense of battery consumption or better battery life at the expense of performance. Of course, the default “Balanced” option will continue to be the middle ground between performance and battery life.
- You can also customize settings for how long your Windows 11 PC stays idle before turning off the screen or going to sleep. To do this, “Display and Sleep” and choose your preferred times from each drop-down menu. You can see my personalized settings in the screenshot below.
This much. You have now successfully changed the power mode through the Settings menu on your Windows 11 computer.
Method 2: Change Power Mode via Control Panel in Windows 11
Another way to change power mode settings in Windows 11 is through Control Panel. This method is similar to the Windows 10 power mode settings and many of you may already be familiar with it. Just follow the instructions below:
- Open Control Panel on your Windows 11 computer. To do this, search for “control” (without the quotes) in the Windows search bar and click “Control Panel” from the results.
- In the Control Panel, make sure you are using the “Icons” view (small or large) and “Power options“.
- Next, choose your preferred power mode for Windows 11. Available options include Balanced (recommended), Power Saver, and High Performance. You can choose one of the three plans and keep the default settings or choose “Change Plan Settings” next to your preferred plan and customize it according to your needs.
- You can also create a power plan from scratch. To do this “Create a power plan” in the left sidebar.
note: If any of the three plans are not visible on your device, click “Show additional plans” at the bottom to see all available plans..
- Once you click “Change Plan Settings“You will be able to change the power plan to decide how long your computer stays idle before it goes to sleep or the screen turns off. You can even “Change Advanced Power Settings“option to make other changes to the power plan. Click “Save Changes“When you’re done.
This much. You have now successfully changed the power mode through the Control Panel on your Windows 11 computer.
Easily Change Battery Settings on Your Computer
As you can see, changing power mode settings in Windows 11 is easy and you can do it in Windows 11 using two separate ways. Now that you know how it works, you should also check out how you can improve battery life on your Windows. how to control screen on time in laptop and windows 11. Both of these articles will help you better optimize your Windows 11 laptop’s battery life and performance. By the way, if you are an Android user, check how you can get the battery level of Bluetooth accessories on Android devices.