Microsoft Edge has surpassed Firefox with its Chromium avatar to become the second most popular web browser on desktop computers after Google Chrome. However, it comes with Microsoft’s Bing as its default search engine, which doesn’t seem like a popular choice for many. So if you’re one of those who want to use a different search provider, you’ve come to the right place. Because today we are going to discuss how to change the default search engine in Microsoft Edge on Windows, Mac, Android and iOS.
Change Default Search Engine in Microsoft Edge
You can easily change the default search engine in Microsoft Edge on all leading mobile and desktop platforms. Like Google Chrome, Microsoft’s new web browser supports any search provider using: open search. Given that all the leading search providers support the technology, you should be able to easily switch from Bing to Google, DuckDuckGo, Startpage etc on all platforms.
Change Microsoft Edge Default Search on Windows and Mac
When using Windows for this tutorial, the process for changing the default search engine in Edge is the same on Windows and Mac. Also note that this article is for the new Microsoft Edge Chromium. If you are still using the old Edge, you should update to the new version immediately (download) for enhanced security and additional features.
- To change your default search engine in Microsoft Edge Chromium, first copy+paste
edge://settings/searchinto the address bar and press Enter.
- Now click the drop-down menu next to ‘Search engine in address bar’ to select your preferred search engine.
This much! You have now successfully changed Microsoft Edge default search on Windows or Mac.
Add New Default Search Option to Microsoft Edge
You can also add a new search engine to Edge Chromium. Here’s how to do it:
- Click ‘Manage Search Engines’ in the step above and then click ‘Add’ on the next page. After that follow the instructions.
- There is also an easier way to add a search engine in Edge. For this, first open the browser and go to the search engine you want (google.in, startpage.com etc.).
- Now go back to the search settings page as described earlier (edge://settings/search). The search engine or website you visited will now appear in the list of options you can choose from.
This much! You have now successfully added the new search engine to Microsoft Edge on Windows or Mac.
Editing or Deleting a Search Engine in Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge Chromium also allows you to edit or delete all available search engines, including Bing. Note that you cannot edit the URL or delete the current default search engine for built-in options. That said, let’s crack it.
- To edit or delete any of the search engines in Microsoft Edge, first copy+paste
edge://settings/searchEnginesinto the address bar and press Enter. Now click on the ‘Menu’ button (three dots) next to your target search provider as seen below to edit or permanently remove it.
Change Microsoft Edge Default Search on Android
Edge browser can be used on both desktops and mobile phones, including Android (Free) and iOS (Free). However, unlike computers, you can only set the search engine in mobile apps to Google, Yahoo or DuckDuckGo besides the default Bing. Unfortunately, there is no option to add more Search Engines on Android or iOS. Regardless, here’s how you can change the default search engine in Edge on Android:
- Launch the Microsoft Edge Android app. Now tap on the ‘Menu’ button (three dots) at the bottom and select ‘Settings’ from the dropdown.
- On the Settings page, scroll down and hit the ‘Search’ button under the ‘Advanced’ section. Now select ‘Default search engine’ (default is set to ‘Bing’).
- You can choose any alternative search engine such as Google, Yahoo or DuckDuckGo. I chose the latter and it’s now my default search provider in Edge on Android.
Change Microsoft Edge Default Search on iOS
- Open Edge and tap the ‘Menu’ button (three dots) at the bottom of the screen. Now select ‘Settings’ from the drop down pane.
- Now go to ‘Advanced Settings’ and select ‘Search Engine’.
- Here, tap on Others to see default search options including Google and DuckDuckGo. Select the search engine you want. This much! Now you have successfully changed the search engine in Microsoft Edge on iOS.
Note: If you don’t see DuckDuckGo as an option, do a manual search on DuckDuckgo and it will appear in the list.
Switch from Bing to Google in Microsoft Edge on PCs and Smartphones
Now that you know how to change your default search provider in Edge, you’re probably dying to switch from Bing to Google. While Google is the obvious choice for most users, I recommend choosing a more privacy-focused service like DuckDuckGo or Startpage. Either way, whichever option you choose, after adding a custom search engine to Edge, let us know which one you chose and why.
Finally, be sure to check out our articles on the best Edge Flags, customizing Edge, and enabling news and weather widgets in Edge, among others. They will help you get the most out of this browser.