The new taskbar design and centered Start Menu are undoubtedly my favorite change in Windows 11. possibility. However, third-party developers have managed to replicate the drag-and-drop functionality of the Windows 10 taskbar in Windows 11. In this article, we have detailed the steps required to enable file drag and drop support on the Windows 11 taskbar.
Enable Drag and Drop Support in Windows 11 Taskbar (2021)
In this article, we have detailed why drag and drop on Windows 11 taskbar is not working and a useful fix. We’ve also included another app that brings the feature with a twist. So, without further ado, let’s get to the point.
Drag and Drop Not Working in Windows 11 Taskbar? Here’s Why!
As mentioned above, drag and drop doesn’t work with the revamped Windows 11 taskbar because Microsoft hasn’t added support for this much-loved and useful Windows 10 feature. By default, joyful you cannot drag and drop apps to windows 11 taskbar to make quick shortcuts not anymore. Also, you can no longer drag and drop files to an application shortcut on the taskbar. It came in handy when editing images or moving documents from Explorer to your favorite Windows browser.
Well, this change was so controversial that Microsoft reversed its decision and promised to add drag and drop functionality back in a future update. A complaint from a Windows Insider about the lack of this feature received more than 20,000 positive votes in the Feedback Hub in Windows 11.
Also, according to code references seen in Windows 11 Insider builds, Microsoft currently working behind the scenes To bring back drag and drop functionality to Windows 11. The feature is set to return to Insider builds after Christmas, with a wider and more stable rollout next year.
Until Microsoft rolls out drag and drop functionality in a feature update for Windows 11, you can install a free app appropriately called ‘Windows11DragAndDropToTaskbarFix’ to get the feature back into the operating system.
Download Third-Party Tool to Fix Drag and Drop in Windows 11
1. You must first Download Windows11DragAndDropToTaskbarFix from GitHub. Click on the ‘.exe’ file to start downloading the application.
2. Your browser may mark the file as spam. If you are using Microsoft Edge, click on the ellipsis icon (three dots) and select ‘Hold’ To continue downloading the application
3. After downloading open the app and you are ready. You can now drag and drop files onto application icons on the Windows 11 taskbar. Now if you want, you can choose to start the program automatically every time you start your Windows 11 PC. To do this, right-click the Windows11DragAndDropToTaskbarFix icon in the system tray and select ‘Configure’.
4. Now, you should Set “AutomaticallyRunThisProgramOnStartup” to 1 To run the program at startup. If you prefer to start the program manually when you need drag and drop functionality, set the value to 0.
Drag and Drop Files to Windows 11 Taskbar Fix at Work!
Now that you know how to install and get back the drag and drop functionality in the Windows 11 taskbar, check the following feature in action:
Use Drag and Drop Toolbar for Windows 11 App to Get Drag and Drop
Another application you can use to bring drag and drop back to the Windows 11 taskbar is called ‘Drag and Drop Toolbar for Windows 11’. Unlike the previous one, the user experience in this app is slightly different. Instead of trying to copy the drag and drop feature of Windows 10, this app takes its own approach and adds a notch-like toolbar to the top of the screen. However, you can configure the app like this:
1. Visit the ‘Drag and Drop Toolbar for Windows 11’ Microsoft Store listing. this link and click Install.
2. After installing the application, all you have to do is drag the files to the top toolbar and select the target application. While it takes some getting used to, bringing back the drag-and-drop gesture in Windows 11 is still a viable alternative.
3. You can check the following feature in action:
Undo Drag and Drop Functionality in Windows 11
The Windows 11 taskbar may still be a work in progress for Microsoft, but with these nifty workarounds, you can easily bridge the gap in functionality. If you found this guide helpful to bring back the useful drag and drop feature in the Windows 11 taskbar, be sure to check out our article on how to customize the Windows 11 taskbar and add a clock to the second screen in the Windows 11 taskbar.