Windows 10 is a great operating system overall, no doubt about it. However, users across the spectrum find that Windows 7 is much simpler, easier to use and provides better performance. To be honest, this is true to some extent as Windows 10 ships with lots of bloatware and unnecessary features and apps. Recently, we made an article on how to speed up Windows 10 to get rid of bloat. Even if you don’t want to go back to Windows 7, sometimes new Windows 10 updates break your computer and it’s wiser to go back to previous versions of Windows 10 to use it without any problems. In this article, I have shared three simple ways to downgrade Windows 10 to previous OS or build in easy steps.
downgrade windows 10
Here we will learn all the methods to downgrade Windows 10. Downgrade to Windows 7/8/8.1 or previous Windows 10 build. There are three ways to accomplish this task and we will walk you through them all. Having said that, let’s start with the easiest method.
1. Downgrade Windows 10 from Settings
If you recently upgraded your computer from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10, this is the surefire method to downgrade to the previous operating system. The process is quite simple and straightforward. Although your data will not be deleted in the process. still It is recommended that you back up your valuable files and folders.. Now, let’s start with the steps.
Note: If you are past 10 days of Windows 10 upgrade, you cannot downgrade Windows 10 using this method. Therefore, make sure that the 10-day limit has not been reached before trying to downgrade your PC. If you are past 10 days, this method will only downgrade your computer to the latest updated version of Windows 10.
1. Press “Windows” and “I” keys simultaneously to open Windows Settings. Here, Click on “Update & Security”.
2. Switch to the “Recovery” tab and you will find the “Back to previous version” section. Click the “Get Started” button just below the section.
3. Now Windows will take you to many options. Your files, programs, drivers, etc. It will ask you if you want to save it. Choose accordingly and continue. Finally, click the “Revert to previous build” button and your computer will reboot and start the downgrade process.
4. After a few hours, your computer will revert to the previous operating system. Now you can enjoy your PC in all its glory with the old Windows operating system.
2. Downgrade Windows 10 with Reset Tool
If you have exceeded the 10-day limit, you can downgrade Windows 10 using the Reset tool. allows you Go back to the first operating system your PC came with. However, this process also deletes data, so be sure to back up anything important from your PC. Don’t forget to reset PC to factory default settings resets your computer to the first installed operating system ie when you buy your PC. For example, if your computer had Windows 7 at the time of purchase, it will be reset to Windows 7. However, if your PC originally had Windows 10, it will only revert to Windows 10. So keep that in mind and move forward.
1. Similar to the steps outlined above, navigate to: Switch to Windows Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery tab. Here, click on the “Get started” option under the “Reset this PC” section.
2. A mini window will now open. Here, Click “Keep my files” to keep your data intact. However, it is recommended that you back up your data as a precaution.
3. On the next screen, Click on “Only the drive where Windows is installed” choice. It will only reset your C drive or whatever drive you installed Windows on.
4. The computer will reboot and start the reset process. After a few hours, your PC will boot with the factory default version of Windows.
Note: I have written a comprehensive guide on how to reset Windows 10. You can refer to my tutorial for detailed instructions in case you want to dig deeper.
3. Download Windows 10 to Previous Build
If your Windows 10 PC is running fine, but due to some recent windows 10 updatesIf your PC is not booting or experiencing performance issues, this method will help you Download your PC to the previous working build. Here are the steps to follow. Again, be sure to back up important files and folders before trying to downgrade Windows 10.
1. Open the Recovery window by going to Windows Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery tab. Here, Click “Restart Now” under “Advanced Startup” episode. Your PC will boot to the Advanced Start screen.
2. In case your computer does not boot at all, then try turning your PC on and off 3 times in a row. An “Automatic Repair” screen should appear. Click on “Advanced Options” here and it should take you to the Advanced Start screen.
3. On the Advanced Start screen, click “Troubleshoot”.
4. Click on “Advanced Options” on the next screen.
5. Finally, “Back to previous build” choice. Click on it and your PC will start the downgrade process. After a while, your computer will revert to the last working build. Enjoy!
SEE ALSO: How to Create a Full Windows 10 Backup in 2019
Downgrade Windows 10 the Way You Want
This was our easy guide on how to download or build Windows 10 to previous OS. There are three different ways to downgrade Windows 10 and you can do any of them depending on the issues you encounter. In general, the first method should be enough for you. However, if you have passed the 10-day rollback period, move on to the second method. And if you are having problems with the current Windows 10 build, you can undo it by following the third method. So it will be all of us. If you’re still having issues with Windows 10, let us know in the comment section below. We will try to help you.