I’m extremely fond of customization, so I’m always on the lookout for great ways to add a personal touch to my Mac. Personalization kind of keeps the feeling of mediocrity away, right? And for those who like personalization, macOS offers a nice way to customize file and folder icons on Mac. Besides giving files a unique look, it also makes recognizing a particular item a little easier. If this sounds interesting to you, let me show you how you can create custom icons for your favorite folders in macOS.
Create Custom Icons for Files and Folders on Your Mac
Probably the best part about this hack is that you can create a custom icon for any file using your own photos or even icons downloaded from the web. Compatibility shouldn’t be a hindrance either, as it even works on older macOS versions like macOS Mojave. What’s more, you also get the option to select an icon from another file. Having said that, let’s get started!
1. To get started, double click on a photo or icon To open in the preview app
Note: It’s worth noting that if any icon (downloaded online) is in .icns format, you can drag it directly to the icon in a file’s Info panel.
2. Now, click on To organise menu and select Select all. Alternatively, you can also use: Command keyboard shortcut.
3. Next, select Edit > Copy in the preview menu. As an alternaive, Command-C keyboard shortcut.
4. Next, right click on file or folder select the icon you want to change and Obtain information option in the menu.
5th place, click on the found icon in the upper left corner.
6. Now, click on To organise menu and select Paste or use Command-V keyboard shortcut.
7. Finally, Close info panel. Request! The change would take effect immediately. Take a look at the screenshot below.
- You can also use an icon from another file or folder. Just select the file you want to use > File menu > Get Info.
- Click the icon at the top of the info window > Edit > Copy. After that, select the specific file and click File menu > Get Info. Finally, click the > Edit > Paste icon.
How to Revert Files or Folders to Their Default Icons on Your Mac
If you want to restore the original icon of a folder, you can do so without any hassle.
1. First select the file or folder. Then click on File menu and select Obtain information.
2. Now, select custom icon Click on the icon at the top of the information window. To organise select the menu item and To cut.
3. Finally, close the “Get info” window and your process will be completed.
Create Awesome Custom Icons for Your Favorite Files and Folders on macOS
This is the quick way to give a special look to all your favorite folders on macOS. Since the process is pretty simple, you can use it to format all your desktop folders. Unlike iOS, macOS offers more customization options. For example, you can hide Apple Music in the stock Music app, create an image that resizes the Automator quick action, and also add a dark/light mode switch. What do you say about this? If you know great customization tips, feel free to share them with us in the comments below.